Did everyone here start with BLUE pots?

So,..obviously it is a malady. I went up to to Kent to by pots yesterday. 6 out of 10 were blue.

That's all i've bought lol. I have yet to use them though. I keep all mine in cut down nursery pots. I don't see anything wrong with blue pots i don't care for light blue pots too much dark blue is nice. I do think that red flowering bonsai or red leaves in fall make a nice contrast with any blur color. But im still some what noob to bonsai so shrugs... It was also concluded that blue is also the worlds favorite color...

You're right, but my Acer goes crispy every late summer so no leaves ever turn colors. :mad:

THAT is a "nice" blue pot. Fits the tree nicely, too.
The late Jim won't see this quote... @Vin your post relating to jkl...had me reminiscing. Found a compliment...on the creeper and blue pot it came in,from Jim I had forgotten about. Put a smile on my face...thanks for mentioning the amazing man. His ways...early in helped mold me...but, I get some crazy roots are not meant to be shown...but...going on five years and my love of exposed roots has blossomed. Two projects going on this spring...and another one in my head I am pondering doing. Some love flowers...as @Carol 83 reminded me...I am hooked on them roots. Which she can attest to. Good ol' Jim...miss him. Good archives of his though...so he lives on through his posts...and our memories.

C3F77574-179E-48E6-B960-50C87A1E6AAE.jpeg

This one is blue, and it is Chinese. Not cheap, though!

And then, there was THIS even less cheap Chinese blue pot:

2B6C7F99-4CC7-4159-8EF0-1F14D8DFBF5F.jpeg

And perhaps the ULTIMATE blue pot:

3CA4C59F-3271-45E0-860F-72501872CCF4.jpeg

This pot is valued at well over $1Million! It rents for $100,000 for the week of Kokofu. Many Kokofu winners have used this pot to win the prize! Every year, there is great speculation over who will use it, and which tree will get to be shown in it!

Last edited:
My first pot was a standard purple brown unglazed oval. A little on the deep side. It was for my first tree (circa 1988), a Hollywood juniper (variegated no less, what was I thinking?) which went into a sale a couple of years later. It isn't the pot that I look back on as the embarrassment, it was the choice of a variegated juniper as my first tree choice. I could use the pot still. It was a decent training pot.

I think these are japan imports from the 60/70's? Got these along with 30 others from an old Florist shop turned estate. I guess It closed down back in the 70's but it was around since the 20's.

These 2 blue pots are the only glazed ones out of the bunch. I plan to get something in them next spring.

Attachments

• pot1.jpg
    pot1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 15
  • pot2.jpg
    pot2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 15
View attachment 183443

This one is blue, and it is Chinese. Not cheap, though!

And then, there was THIS even less cheap Chinese blue pot:

View attachment 183444

And perhaps the ULTIMATE blue pot:

View attachment 183445

This pot is valued at well over $1Million! It rents for $100,000 for the week of Kokofu. Many Kokofu winners have used this pot to win the prize! Every year, there is great speculation over who will use it, and which tree will get to be shown in it!

There's the blue pot I was envisioning... ? great pairing.

? renting a pot for Kokofu...I didn't even know that was an opinion...but...DANG!

This is my nicest blue one, the glaze is almost impossible to get a reasonable picture of whether it is in bright light, dull light or artificial.
Such a deep blue.
I use the mallsai ones for succulents or as seed trays and ficus.

IMG_7184d.JPG

I have some really nice blue glazed pots from Chuck Iker, and the little cascade I got from @sorce . They are my favorites.

As I said, there are blue pots and there are blue pots. Very typically, the cheapest of the non-winterhardy Chinese pots are brightly colored, shiney glazed brilliant blue. May are shaped like bathtubs.

That's exactly what I have, but now they have sentimental value.

That’s not the only one! There are several pots that get “shared” like that.
Shared is one thing among friends...but renting sounds more business inclined. Is there a company that ones use per say? Do ones have insurance on them? I mean...accidents do take place.

I have seen a replica of this pot, a little smaller, being sold at the Omiya Bonsai Museum store. I didn't have the cash so I didn't buy it!

Shared is one thing among friends...but renting sounds more business inclined. Is there a company that ones use per say? Do ones have insurance on them? I mean...accidents do take place.
Of course it’s insured! Whoever owns it bought it as an investment. They expect to get a return on their investment. It’s probably rented for other shows as well. But, they wouldn’t want to let it be used too often, then it would lose that quality of “rarity”.

Bonsai in Japan is a business. S-Qube is a major player in the high end bonsai stuff. All the Masters know who has this and that tree and/or pot.

Just like major car collectors know the market here.

Back
Top Bottom