Nishiki Gawa browned leaves

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got a fungus or something on my Nishiki gawas and only on them, one is a 20+ yr old bonsai the other is a cutting from the mother tree. It looks like leaf scorch but the leaves look like fall has already started, its only affected a lower branch on the tree and nowhere else. When I pull on the infected leaves they come right off with barely any force.
IMG_20220904_155115.jpgIMG_20220904_155702.jpgIMG_20220904_155704.jpg
IMG_20220904_155111.jpg

We definitely had a hotter summer this year in NC than last year. I don't think my local temp broke 90F last summer more than 2 or 3 times. This year, we had a LOT more 90+ degree days. I've got a dozen Japanese Maples between landscape trees, potted patio trees, and bonsai trainees. Every one of them has shown some sign of heat stress this year except two Sharp's Pygmy trees that are in large patio pots. Those made it through the heat like champions. Second best to resist the heat have been my two Shishigashira trees. One of which is in the ground, and the other is in a nursery pot. They had very little leaf burn as well. My Arakawa in a nursery pot got burnt the worst, losing nearly all its leaves. It's putting out some new ones right now though, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about your trees. Maybe just give them a little afternoon shade if anything. Cooler temps are (hopefully) just around the corner for us.

Only if it’s not getting enough water…
I felt like I was overwatering it especially in the late summer when the soil gets all swampy and funky from the fertilizer and moss. It was sited in a spot that only got either 10 hours full sun or 3 hours in the late afternoon full sun. My house I am building will finally have a place that gets a full 8 hours morning and mid day sun and then afternoon shade. The problem I am having is deciding if I want to repot it after one year in new akadama and into a 70/30 mix or holding off and seeing what the new siting does to it.

My repotting plans this year is pretty light, only a half dozen trees need it everything else will go in pumice raised beds and grow bags into the ground.

I’m sorry for revisiting this post after two years but how long did it take for your bark to cork up?

I’m sorry for revisiting this post after two years but how long did it take for your bark to cork up?
I bought it corked up, I have some 2 year old cuttings from the original crown that haven't corked up yet

Back
Top Bottom