Nishiki gawa never developed rough bark

capoeira turtle

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought a Nishiki gawa from forest farms’ website 9 yrs ago and to make a long story short, left the idea of training it for bonsai only to revisits the idea two years ago with an air layer. Luckily it couldn’t have air layered easier. But when looking at the original tree this morning I only then remembered how old it was and the fact that the bark stayed perfectly smooth 🤦

Attachments

• IMG_7809.jpeg
    IMG_7809.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7806.jpeg
    IMG_7806.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7805.jpeg
    IMG_7805.jpeg
    485.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7807.jpeg
    IMG_7807.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 137
The green bark usually indicates a young tree.
Could this variety be slow to mature?

The green bark usually indicates a young tree.
Could this variety be slow to mature?
Good question. Below The graft area is ashy looking but the rest is smooth and green. I was told that it usually takes 2-3 years to see rough bark

Nishiki Gawa does not have purple borders to their leaves like your tree. Your tree is not a Nishiki Gawa.

I agree with the others; Nishiki gawa is one that is known to develop rough bark faster than others like Arakawa. It must have been a miss-labeled tree. Unfortunately that happens often enough. Still a beautiful tree though!

I wonder, could the original graft have died and this is the understock that's grown up instead? I can't see a graft line in the pics.

My Nishiki gawa had patches of rough bark when I bought it as a fresh start grafted tree. So did the Arakawa I bought at the same time, but not as much.
Contact Forestfarm and I'm certain they will make it right.

I agree with the others; Nishiki gawa is one that is known to develop rough bark faster than others like Arakawa. It must have been a miss-labeled tree. Unfortunately that happens often enough. Still a beautiful tree though!

I wonder, could the original graft have died and this is the understock that's grown up instead? I can't see a graft line in the pics.
They did a good graft job. It’s impossible to see now.

My Nishiki gawa had patches of rough bark when I bought it as a fresh start grafted tree. So did the Arakawa I bought at the same time, but not as much.
Contact Forestfarm and I'm certain they will make it right.
They haven’t gotten back to me yet and it’s been a few days. 🤷

They haven’t gotten back to me yet and it’s been a few days. 🤷
I'm about 45mi from Williams, Or. I've done quite a bit of business with Forestfarm. It is springtime and like any good nursery they're probably steppin and fetchin in high gear. They're good solid folks and customer service is always top priority.
I'm about due for a run out to the farm and can show this post if you haven't heard from them, but, hey, don't be shy about ringing their bell. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I thank you very much for the offer. They got back to me and I think they’re circulating the pictures to the right person to figure out how to rectify the situation. Thanks again!

After 9 years, I'll be amazed if any nursery would replace a tree. :rolleyes:

Maybe, if it was a grafted tree, that the root stock overcome the variety, the scion died, and finally you only have a "standar" palmatum, with standar bark. A close up of the base would be clarificant.

Back
Top Bottom