Where to buy quality stands?

Highly recommend Jerry Braswell (Art of the Daiza) and a member of this forum. I have bought four or five and have been very pleased. Craftsmanship is superb.

http://artofthedaiza.wordpress.com/

Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions here! After this thread I placed an order with Jerry Brazwell ( http://artofthedaiza.wordpress.com/ )

I will be working with him again. The stand is very well made and looks incredible! -- I would still like to order from Sean sometime too, but I'm very happy with my stand from Jerry. Great work Jerry!

I'll take some better pictures when I have more light and time. But for now here's what I've got.

(On the stand is a new pot by Sara Rayner, from my wife for Christmas. My hedge maple forest will go in it this spring.)

And a couple with my Trident Maple: I tried to pick a style and size that would work with several of my trees since this is my first one. It might be a bit big for some, or small for others, but I think it will look good with several of them. :)

Do it! :) -- Now I need to get a simpler one...lol

Great stand. Do you know what kind of wood?

Thanks Vance! It's walnut.

Al, I'd be very interested in hearing what characteristics you would say this stand exhibits... ie: masculine/feminine...etc. I have a few ideas, but I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

Geof Holmes

Geof Holmes also makes some very nice Bonsai stands. I own a few and will have more when I can afford them.
If you need custom wood furniture there's not much he can't make check out his web site.

http://www.holmesfinefurniture.com/18736.html

Give him a call he vends at several Bonsai Shows every year.

Al, I'd be very interested in hearing what characteristics you would say this stand exhibits... ie: masculine/feminine...etc. I have a few ideas, but I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

Dan, I don't know crap about stands, but I'll bite. It looks to me to be an effeminate table with soft lines. Perhaps best used with lg. deciduous trees? Nice one Dan! PM sent.

View attachment 42080

I don't have any of Sean Smith's stands, but the images and comments i've seen and heard are very impressive! Some of his beautiful root stands, appear to be quality!

I believe he makes some of the best root stands here. I love the story Bill V told about a Kokufu show trip. How one of the American lady bought one root stand there and going ga-ga over it. Even brought it down to show them while at the hotel bar, but one of the companions was not overly impressed. Offended she challenged him what he think was wrong with it so he did and later told her to check the bottom and she should see who the maker is...it is his...the guy is Sean himself who lives in the same State as the lady. LOL (this is my recollection of the story and may not be 100% accurate).

David Knittle 814-264-4537

The number is 814-464-4537
dgkstudio@gmail.com

This is David Knittles booth at the Shohin seminar. I sat in his booth and talked wood with him for half a day four years ago.

Attachments

• DSC_00670067.JPG
    DSC_00670067.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_00680068.JPG
    DSC_00680068.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_00690069.JPG
    DSC_00690069.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_00700070.JPG
    DSC_00700070.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 25
These were some of the stands by Sean Smith. Actually I was hoping to see a better stand than these. Based on Diaza I have seen, these were very different.

Attachments

• DSC_00870087.JPG
    DSC_00870087.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_00880088.JPG
    DSC_00880088.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 42
These were some of the stands by Sean Smith. Actually I was hoping to see a better stand than these. Based on Diaza I have seen, these were very different.

I don't know why you don't post some of your own stands, they are some of the best I have every seen.

This is what I got 20x15 for $240.best bang for you buck I have ever found. This was also customer made for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 40
This is what I got 20x15 for $240.best bang for you buck I have ever found. This was also customer made for me.

Nice Custom, could you share the point of purchase?

Grimmy

Last edited:
Here is the link to their site. The business is called artisans bonsai. The owner was a pleasure to deal with and takes pay pal. At his prices you could probably buy them and resell them at a good margin if you have access to buyers.
http://www.webring.org/go?ring=bunj...%AA%9F%7CFQ5%00%E9%EC%D6%A6%94ty%5E%2C%13&&go

Yes, forgot. I did buy a custom stand a few years ago from Artisan's. Excellent craftsmanship and material! Definitely a great source.

Best,
Dorothy

Back
Top Bottom