Weta's Pots

Brings me back to my days of working on Yellowstone, I can smell the sulphur from here! I like the size contrast of the feature to the planting area, gives the impression of one of the massive thermal features like grand prismatic. Super cool! Would love to see how it looks filled with water

Brings me back to my days of working on Yellowstone, I can smell the sulphur from here! I like the size contrast of the feature to the planting area, gives the impression of one of the massive thermal features like grand prismatic. Super cool! Would love to see how it looks filled with water
Working out if I want the water to stream over the egde using a solar water pump, would need collection tray to recirculate.
Might just seal hole for now and create overflow rivers down the sides so I can finish painting, not happy with base as it is.IMG_20230825_123001.jpg

Last edited:
like grand prismatic.
Bingo! I was thinking of the exact same spring.
1693437205916.png
Finally saw this feature on my 3rd trip to Yellowstone.
Have some really good pics of it on a card somewhere.
What did you do there? I'm scared of bears and cats.

Working out if I want the water to stream over the egde using a solar water pump, would need collection tray to recirculate.Might just seal hole for now and create overflow rivers down the sides so I can finish painting, not happy with base as it is.View attachment 504887
I liked it like this before the overflowing, and would consider it for a stand alone fountain.
You're onto something here for souvenirs at Yellowstone. I assume that's where you got your inspiration?

Bingo! I was thinking of the exact same spring.
View attachment 505940
Finally saw this feature on my 3rd trip to Yellowstone.
Have some really good pics of it on a card somewhere.
What did you do there? I'm scared of bears and cats.

I liked it like this before the overflowing, and would consider it for a stand alone fountain.
You're onto something here for souvenirs at Yellowstone. I assume that's where you got your inspiration?
The thought came while working on my terrace pot design with talk of New Zealands pink and white terraces that were destroyed from volcanic eruption, while looking up info Yellowstones colours amazed me and construction plans started to form. IMG_20230807_133104.jpg

I find it hard to do random lines and spacing.
I wonder if the lines on the springs you take inspiration from are random (of course, little is truly random at the super-quantum level...) and if you could learn the principles that cause them to take the shapes they do.

I wonder if the lines on the springs you take inspiration from are random (of course, little is truly random at the super-quantum level...) and if you could learn the principles that cause them to take the shapes they do.
First thought was overflow it and follow the lines but I'm trying to keep dry while concrete is still curing , I've left breathers until project finished
Second thought was thinking of wind blowing across a pond creating a bias to one side and give it a go.

What did you do there?
I was briefly an overworked, underpaid, housekeeper at the old faithful inn. Only ran into a couple grizzlies, mostly gotta watch out for those bison lol

Grand-Prismatic-Spring-in-Yellowstone-National-Park-ultimate-guide.jpg
The overflow happening from those thermal features are more or less "random", they're various mineral deposits being spit out (with some super hot water) causing the vibrant colors. Though a lot of the orange around the outside is also these wonky bright orange bacterial mats
66298034-bacteria-mat-at-mammoth-hot-springs-in-yellowstone-national-park.jpg
Overflow base coat
Just a couple inspiration pictures of those blending colors. I think your base coat is a good start and once more colors start being layered in, it should blend out the initial "contrived randomness" look. In the first picture you can see there's a kinda one sided bias like you mentioned (just natural change in the elevation) and I think you did a good job on putting the most "overflow" happening on the "low side" of the feature. I can imagine some tall thin conifer planted on the side giving the impression of a sparse old tree breathing the sulfur fumes from the thermal feature down below.
Grand_Prismatic_Spring_and_Midway_Geyser_Basin_from_above.jpg

Cheers

The challenge with the actual overflow is that your white ring around the pool is inconsistent with overflow. If you look at @IckyGuyBonsai’s image - where there’s overflow the paler material is found at the base of the overflow outlining it. For an overflow I’d think you’d have some of the white ring broken up so a color the same as the highest level could spill out and then be white-lined wherever it settles. Just my two cents on making the overflow convincing.

Overflow base coat, I find it hard to do random lines and spacing. View attachment 505932View attachment 505933
This is very cool. Thanks for sharing.

If you are looking for ideas on how to handle the design of the overflow - just fill it up and see where the water goes. That might give you unbiased direction.

I was briefly an overworked, underpaid, housekeeper at the old faithful inn. Only ran into a couple grizzlies, mostly gotta watch out for those bison lol

View attachment 506040
The overflow happening from those thermal features are more or less "random", they're various mineral deposits being spit out (with some super hot water) causing the vibrant colors. Though a lot of the orange around the outside is also these wonky bright orange bacterial mats
View attachment 506041

Just a couple inspiration pictures of those blending colors. I think your base coat is a good start and once more colors start being layered in, it should blend out the initial "contrived randomness" look. In the first picture you can see there's a kinda one sided bias like you mentioned (just natural change in the elevation) and I think you did a good job on putting the most "overflow" happening on the "low side" of the feature. I can imagine some tall thin conifer planted on the side giving the impression of a sparse old tree breathing the sulfur fumes from the thermal feature down below.
View attachment 506047

Cheers
Is this your photography?
My heart skipped a beat when I saw that 1st picture. Would also like to see an areal like that with no breeze, or are the ripples from movement below surface?

Is this your photography?
My heart skipped a beat when I saw that 1st picture. Would also like to see an areal like that with no breeze, or are the ripples from movement below surface?
I could only hope for some photography skills like that. I pulled some pictures off Google real quick, though somewhere I have all my personal photos taken around the park. As for the ripples, grand prismatic is one of the many thermal features that stays pretty shrouded in steam off the water unless there's a pretty good breeze clearing it up.

There's a few reports of pets jumping into those pools, which some are JUUUUST shy of boiling....

Many times, the owners will jump in after the pets...

Neither normally survive

But FANTASTIC pots..

I really really really enjoy them...

And I'm not quite sure why, yet... but would love to find out!

Keep it up!

View attachment 506040
View attachment 506041

View attachment 506047

Cheers

Thank you SO much For sharing these...

Enthralling... FANTASTIC!

Back
Top Bottom