War with beavers

Last year I lost a needle juniper and a Chinese quince that I had in a growout bed - to a stag that decided the rub off all the bark with his antlers (how they mark their territory). It could be worse - our neighbor almost lost a large Acer. p. 'Sango-kaku' that he had planted last year in a bed in his front yard. Fortunately, he caged it with metal mesh and it appears the tree is making a comeback.

And here I'm complaining about squirrels. The wild life is surely wild by you guys

And here I'm complaining about squirrels. The wild life is surely wild by you guys
I am waiting for the news of BC collectors being attacked by pythons in Florida. It is bound to happen some day, much like the news of BC collectors being attacked by alligators in Louisiana.

Last edited:
Only problem with wildlife and my trees is birds digging through the moss I put on the pots looking for worms

My neighbor's Bernese Mountain dog once escaped and decided to visit my yard. Literally a gentle giant. Was more interested in just poking around than messing my trees up. The groceries sitting in bags didn't fare as well.

The human have taken devastating losses. The storms in the last two weeks brought the water level up and the beavers got super active. Plus I swear they brought in outside help. They cutdown and stripped clean of bark 90% of my replanted bald cypress. My work for the entire spring was wiped out. We lost nearly 100 BCs. These were juvenile trees at 1.5 to 2.5" caliper. They are gone!!!!!

The human have taken devastating losses. The storms in the last two weeks brought the water level up and the beavers got super active. Plus I swear they brought in outside help. They cutdown and stripped clean of bark 90% of my replanted bald cypress. My work for the entire spring was wiped out. We lost nearly 100 BCs. These were juvenile trees at 1.5 to 2.5" caliper. They are gone!!!!!
My friends are threatening bringing out their Infrared scope and night vision gear to take care of the beavers. Me think it's all talk. The guys love their beauty sleep too much.
PS: They might change their mind. Last night the pigs destroyed 2 acres of sweet corn. The guys are pissed. They might do it for the pigs as well as the beavers.

Last edited:
My friends are threatening bringing out their Infrared scope and night vision gear to take care of the beavers. Me think it's all talk. The guys love their beauty sleep too much.
PS: They might change their mind. Last night the pigs destroyed 2 acres of sweet corn. They are pissed. They might do it for the pigs as well as the beavers.
Uncle, Be ready for heo rung xao lang? Am good with what you did last time.

I've seen some videos about wild pigs -- they are pretty scary! It seems like they are invasive all over the US. We even have them in Michigan.

I've seen some videos about wild pigs -- they are pretty scary! It seems like they are invasive all over the US. We even have them in Michigan.
I have zero problem with shooting them for reducing the herd. I will feed the carcass of adult pigs to the gators.

Back
Top Bottom