Species Study - Acer Saccharum/Acer Saccharinum

I like Rubrum alot!...

I am working my "selects" (from last years multitudes) from the ground up, with the intention of sales, as well... trying to flood the market with "Good" Rubrum specimens... because just like ANY seedlings... they won't ALL have tiny/interesting foliage and short internodes.... You have to do the selection work... THEN.. take cuttings off of "preferred stock" (in the future)
Solid info. The ones I have are collected saplings that I wired early for trunk interest so I won’t really be sure of what I have for another season or three I guess.
(There's a Rubrum/platenoides thread in "TinyTree", as well. ;) )
Oh I found it👍👍👍. I’m stuck home with the Covid so I’ve been reading😅

So this was a sugar maple that a murdered this past winter. I was getting short internodes and leaves reduced to about 1” but unfortunately I had one of those “impatient idiot” moments. I had just acquired the Sara Rayner pot it is shown in and had this romantic idea of American tree in an American pot and repotted out of season. The tree never recovered. Anyway… I think shorter internodes are attainable on the species but besides the fatal repot I am not knowledgeable on what I was doing wrong or right. No worries though, there are more in the pipeline😉View attachment 437359
Please share your strategy to get short internodes . My take on sugar is slow growing can survive and wait in shade for chance at sun . Think we need to get efficient established root system going first. Recover from repot in shade . I have some growing g in garden going to cut them back and dig up next spring .

I like Rubrum alot!...

I am working my "selects" (from last years multitudes) from the ground up, with the intention of sales, as well... trying to flood the market with "Good" Rubrum specimens... because just like ANY seedlings... they won't ALL have tiny/interesting foliage and short internodes.... You have to do the selection work... THEN.. take cuttings off of "preferred stock" (in the future)

(There's a Rubrum/platenoides thread in "TinyTree", as well. ;) )
Head to the rubrum thread , me likey

Attachments

• 20220519_164139.jpg
    20220519_164139.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220519_164517.jpg
    20220519_164517.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 44
Not sure how much truth I have here . Black maple is a sun species or some say just a cultivar of sugar maple . Reasonable. Rate . Been looking for a seed source for a while some in the area I live in leaves Droop at the sides normally does not colour as red or yellow in the fall bark is darker black compared to grey of sugar has the highest sugar content for syrup interesting the seedling above is from tree in my yard that I have long suspected is black or at least some black traights Identification app calls it sugar my other interest in black is any I have seen have somewhat smaller leaves and internodes as my yard tree does

Attachments

• CB572F12-F71D-4B66-8390-3906C6B7291E.png
    CB572F12-F71D-4B66-8390-3906C6B7291E.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 31
  • B59CDD4D-A4CC-4CB6-9A64-C937124C365F.png
    B59CDD4D-A4CC-4CB6-9A64-C937124C365F.png
    216.7 KB · Views: 54
Not sure how much truth I have here . Black maple is a sun species or some say just a cultivar of sugar maple . Reasonable. Rate . Been looking for a seed source for a while some in the area I live in leaves Droop at the sides normally does not colour as red or yellow in the fall bark is darker black compared to grey of sugar has the highest sugar content for syrup interesting the seedling above is from tree in my yard that I have long suspected is black or at least some black traights Identification app calls it sugar my other interest in black is any I have seen have somewhat smaller leaves and internodes as my yard tree does
Interesting... I've seen "blunted" leaves SOMEWHAT like this in a (few and far between) couple of forest floor Acer saplings in some mixed Sugar Maple/American beech areas.

It’s looking like the collected silver is going to live . Moved into more light and fert . Anyone want to take a guess at what my latest . Repurposed. Bonsai bench is . Hint made of metal been painted 2 different shades of blue in its previous use . Price was free about 15 feet long I have 2

Attachments

• 89F16D4B-2EE4-40F6-A953-7DCE02C4953C.jpeg
    89F16D4B-2EE4-40F6-A953-7DCE02C4953C.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 57
It’s looking like the collected silver is going to live . Moved into more light and fert . Anyone want to take a guess at what my latest . Repurposed. Bonsai bench is . Hint made of metal been painted 2 different shades of blue in its previous use . Price was free about 15 feet long I have 2
Diving board?

Interesting sugar maple seedling collected 3 weeks ago after leaf out . All others in the area had regular sized leaf pic is today with leaf from regular yard tree for size comparison

Attachments

• A5D76D8F-4C83-4C38-8543-5DCE0E96BEB4.jpeg
    A5D76D8F-4C83-4C38-8543-5DCE0E96BEB4.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 65
Interesting sugar maple seedling collected 3 weeks ago after leaf out . All others in the area had regular sized leaf pic is today with leaf from regular yard tree for size comparison
Any platenoides nearby...?

Although, CLASSICALY sugar... those leaves scream Viking.

😂

(I see those Tsuga branches back there, too! ;) )

There's a big Tsuga thread floating around somewhere....

But maybe something is to be gained from starting a Species Study, here...also.

I don't have any... soooo..

🤓

Any platenoides nearby...?

Although, CLASSICALY sugar... those leaves scream Viking.
There is Norway around but no white sap from stem or are you referring g to the large leaf it’s a odd ball young yard tree looks Norway in ways but also no white sap and identifier app states both are sugar normally pretty accurate at telling the 2 apart

Oh yes.. I'm talking about the lil leaved one..

I didn't mean that I thought it WAS Platenoides.

The leaf is unmistakably Sugar.. You. are correct. It just ALSO bears variances seen commonly in Platenoides.

I'm just amusing the possibility that it is a cross-poll... reading MOSTLY "Sugar".

🤓

Oh yes.. I'm talking about the lil leaved one..

I didn't mean that I thought it WAS Platenoides.

The leaf is unmistakably Sugar.. You. are correct. It just ALSO bears variances seen commonly in Platenoides.

I'm just amusing the possibility that it is a cross-poll... reading MOSTLY "Sugar".

🤓
I’m not aware that the 2 will cross but anything is possible . The little one is from edge of my property there is Viking and sugar nearby . The 30 foot sugar in my yard I have long considered has some black maple dna . It’s the most likely sugar parent

I’m not aware that the 2 will cross but anything is possible . The little one is from edge of my property there is Viking and sugar nearby . The 30 foot sugar in my yard I have long considered has some black maple dna . It’s the most likely sugar parent
Oh dang.. You're probably right...

I've never heard of them crossing.

I'm just a hopeful mad scientist... like Dr. Frankenstein... "This can... go... here... and: TADA" Buffalo-roo!"

😂😂😂

Actually had a song called Dr. Frankenstein... here's the chorus.

These are my reasons,
for entering in.

We bear all the answers,
it comes from within.

Take two of the green pills,
and call me tomorrow.

...I'll be your Dr. Frankenstein.

🤓

(I see those Tsuga branches back there, too! ;) )

There's a big Tsuga thread floating around somewhere....

But maybe something is to be gained from starting a Species Study, here...also.

I don't have any... soooo..

🤓
I’m not aware of a big tsuga Thread here . There are some threads . About them most are about western mountain hemlock . You may be right we should start a study group not sure there is enough interest . There are not to many as insane as I am . The species and I have history .

It's all Tsuga.. but I Still like the idea of opening a Species STUDY, here... instead of simply a discussion/share your tsuga.

Acer nigra 2 gallon pot . Local native tree farm twice a year sale of leftover stock . Normally you purchase from them only in 50 tree lots . Pre ordered . Now that I actually have one young in a pot . I’m more convinced my yard sugar maple . Is nigra or has some nigra dna . They are fairly rare in Ontario . But exist in small area around where I live . They are prized for there highest sugar content . By maple syrup producers . And there is several pure stands in sugar bushes in this area . That sometimes sell seedlings . Including my syrup supplier . Who claims the darkest strongest grade of syrup I prefer is produced from these trees

Attachments

• 39B90E6B-19A9-4639-BAE7-EAFE1BA28901.jpeg
    39B90E6B-19A9-4639-BAE7-EAFE1BA28901.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 42
  • D913D8D0-C90F-4013-99E7-9FDA64AC09CA.jpeg
    D913D8D0-C90F-4013-99E7-9FDA64AC09CA.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom