Large trident maple trunk - thoughts

Jpour6

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was thinking about buy this trident trunk . Has a lot of scars but not sure if they’ll heal over time. Asking price $550. Any thought or feedback greatly appreciated ? Worth it? Potential for nice bonsai?

Attachments

• IMG_8200.png
    IMG_8200.png
    932.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_8201.png
    IMG_8201.png
    930 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_8202.png
    IMG_8202.png
    874.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8204.png
    IMG_8204.png
    879.4 KB · Views: 144
A lot depends whether the tape is in inches or cm and the dollars are US, Canadian, Australian, NZ, Liberia, Fiji or any of the others that use Dollar as a unit of currency.
Having a location in your personal profile helps us guess these variables so we don't need to ask each time you post.

Scars will heal over. How long it takes depends on how much the tree is allowed to grow. In a bonsai pot growth slows markedly so healing does take longer. Allowing free growth like it appears this one has speeds up the process.

The pictures are a little blurry so zooming in doesn't really help see details clearer but I can only see 1 larger scar. The others all appear relatively small so they should heal over in maybe 2-3 years if the tree is looked after well.

The nebari looks OK. Taper is slight but acceptable and there's plenty of shoots to develop branches from.

A lot depends whether the tape is in inches or cm and the dollars are US, Canadian, Australian, NZ, Liberia, Fiji or any of the others that use Dollar as a unit of currency.
Having a location in your personal profile helps us guess these variables so we don't need to ask each time you post.

Scars will heal over. How long it takes depends on how much the tree is allowed to grow. In a bonsai pot growth slows markedly so healing does take longer. Allowing free growth like it appears this one has speeds up the process.

The pictures are a little blurry so zooming in doesn't really help see details clearer but I can only see 1 larger scar. The others all appear relatively small so they should heal over in maybe 2-3 years if the tree is looked after well.

The nebari looks OK. Taper is slight but acceptable and there's plenty of shoots to develop branches from.
Apologies , guess I really am a seedling here.

Measuring tape is in inches

Price is in US dollars

I attached additional photos . Hopefully that will help . Tried adding a video but doesn’t upload

Appreciate any feedback

Attachments

• IMG_8199.png
    IMG_8199.png
    898.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8203.png
    IMG_8203.png
    843.3 KB · Views: 139
Hello all,
I was thinking about buy this trident trunk . Has a lot of scars but not sure if they’ll heal over time. Asking price $550. Any thought or feedback greatly appreciated ? Worth it? Potential for nice bonsai?
It has potential. $550 is in the ballpark for such a large, already containerized trunk. You will need to grow out branching, obviously. Quite a bit of scarring. That can be worked out over time though. You know any of the history of the tree, like original source (doesn't make that much difference, but might provide some clues as to care, etc.) Do you know when the tree was last repotted?.

It has potential. $550 is in the ballpark for such a large, already containerized trunk. You will need to grow out branching, obviously. Quite a bit of scarring. That can be worked out over time though. You know any of the history of the tree, like original source (doesn't make that much difference, but might provide some clues as to care, etc.) Do you know when the tree was last repotted?.
Last repotted in December 2023

Of course the price of everything is high these days but this seems a too high for the minimum decade long project that this will be to get a reasonably developed tree. That said...most of the enjoyment in bonsai is the journey and not necessarily the destination. I am not sure what his inventory is currently but I would at least take a look at Green Thumb bonsai. John sells a lot of trident trunks and I suspect you can buy something larger for significantly less. Selection looks a little depleted at the moment but call him because he often has some that are not on the website.

Of course the price of everything is high these days but this seems a too high for the minimum decade long project that this will be to get a reasonably developed tree. That said...most of the enjoyment in bonsai is the journey and not necessarily the destination. I am not sure what his inventory is currently but I would at least take a look at Green Thumb bonsai. John sells a lot of trident trunks and I suspect you can buy something larger for significantly less. Selection looks a little depleted at the moment but call him because he often has some that are not on the website.
Aprox. $100 for every inch of trunk thickness on a trident is pretty standard. This tree with a FIVE inch wide trunk, and what looks to have the start of taper, branching, and a nebari is not asking too much IMO. All of the trees listed on Johns website follow a similar pricing strategy.

You can try and bring cash to the nursery if you want to try and get a better deal, but I wouldn't mind having it in my garden.

Well, given the prices I’ve seen in my local market (all retail prices, not selling amongst club members), it seems reasonable to me.
I suspect you have access to more stock locally than I do - but, even considering that, it still seems ok.

Note, this has characteristics I like - a lot of this would depend on what you see for the future of this.

As Johng said, a big part of this is the journey. For me, if this were for sale locally, I’d be buying it - I’d enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom