Japanese Maple Design Help

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Dear bonsai artisans,

I would like to ask for your opinions about this tree.

How would you design it?

Having a very shallow knowledge and experience in bonsai care, any piece of negative or positive feedback is valued.

Thank you.​

IMG_3071.JPGIMG_3072.JPG

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is one option among many other possibilities:

See attached image from Meriggioli's book, Bonsai Maples.

You're are picture number 2, on your way to picture number 3. The amount of time you spend at this stage will be based on your personal preferences regarding trunk girth, nebari, size of the wound/scar the sacrifice branch will create and leave, etc. For me, it would be something like 5 to 10 years (If closer to 10 years on that timescale, I might use multiple sacrifice branches as opposed to just one in order to minimize the size of the wound and the possibility of reverse taper).

Upright.jpg

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here is one option among many other possibilities:

See attached image from Meriggioli's book, Bonsai Maples.

You're are picture number 2, on your way to picture number 3. The amount of time you spend at this stage will be based on your personal preferences regarding trunk girth, nebari, size of the wound/scar the sacrifice branch will create and leave, etc. For me, it would be something like 5 to 10 years (If closer to 10 years on that timescale, I might use multiple sacrifice branches as opposed to just one in order to minimize the size of the wound and the possibility of reverse taper).

View attachment 512762

Wow - that is a very beautiful tree!

How does a nebari grow that wide - do we use wiring for the trunk?

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I'll let others chime in to answer your questions because I'm short on time, but these 2 books will opens doors for you and answer questions you didn't know you had 👍

Attachments

• 91YhMQUVntL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    91YhMQUVntL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 40
  • l-acero-bonsai.jpg
    l-acero-bonsai.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 44

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill Valavanis is a very good bonsaiist in the U.S. He's been doing bonsai for going on 60 years now. This video gives some basics on reduction of stock similar to yours and can give some ideas on what you can do.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bill Valavanis is a very good bonsaiist in the U.S. He's been doing bonsai for going on 60 years now. This video gives some basics on reduction of stock similar to yours and can give some ideas on what you can do.
Going to watch it right now! Thank you.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it were my tree: I'd cut at the red lines, wire the left branch down slightly, and wire the new leader mostly vertical. I believe this would best be done in spring after new growth hardens off, but someone more experienced please chime in if I'm wrong here.

gapoy JM 2.JPG

Some more comments/questions:

1. What do you want this tree to look like when it's mature? How big do you want it to be? Are you going for an informal upright or another style?
2. Do you know if this tree is due for a repot? Is it currently draining well? When it does get repotted, I'd consider the Ebihara root method or at least make sure you're thoroughly evaluating the roots.
3. I can't see a graft - do you know if this is a particular cultivar, or is it just a seedling?
4. Nice tree, and welcome!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
See for me, the quickest way to a nice looking tree would be to air layer just under the fork and build a twin trunk tree, the branch structure is almost there, just need to get some back budding on the left trunk. Makes a better tree with better potential rather than messing around with chops and grafts etc the two trunks already compliment each other.

gapoy JM 2.JPG

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
see this is what I see, without the third trunk. 100% of the responses here will be to remove one trunk and build a singular trunk line tree. This is why I urge people to look at wild trees and open up the mind a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_3156-633231984.jpg
    IMG_3156-633231984.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 55

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey I see youre in London. Make a day of it and go and check out Richmond park and take pics of trees and create an album. If youre new in the hobby this will be enlightening for you.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
1. What do you want this tree to look like when it's mature? How big do you want it to be? Are you going for an informal upright or another style?
2. Do you know if this tree is due for a repot? Is it currently draining well? When it does get repotted, I'd consider the Ebihara root method or at least make sure you're thoroughly evaluating the roots.
3. I can't see a graft - do you know if this is a particular cultivar, or is it just a seedling?
4. Nice tree, and welcome!

1 With this maple, I'm thinking of double trunk which is upright and have its leaves terraced in different levels. Am I even making any sense there?
2 I am thinking of repotting it this coming spring as it has been on its pot since I got it.
3 I have no idea what it is - is not seeing a graft a bad thing?
4 Thank you - I am learning so much from here.

See for me, the quickest way to a nice looking tree would be to air layer just under the fork and build a twin trunk tree, the branch structure is almost there, just need to get some back budding on the left trunk. Makes a better tree with better potential rather than messing around with chops and grafts etc the two trunks already compliment each other.

I am sorry for my ignorance but are you saying to grow roots just under where it branches, and then when it has branches, cut the bottom part and replant it again so it seems like the point where it branches out is lower to the ground?

see this is what I see, without the third trunk. 100% of the responses here will be to remove one trunk and build a singular trunk line tree. This is why I urge people to look at wild trees and open up the mind a bit.

I actually quite like this one you posted!

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I am sorry for my ignorance but are you saying to grow roots just under where it branches, and then when it has branches, cut the bottom part and replant it again so it seems like the point where it branches out is lower to the ground?
Yes, “air layering” is the process of growing new roots on a branch/trunk/part of a tree where you want them and then cutting the newly rooted tree off of the original tree and planting it

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, “air layering” is the process of growing new roots on a branch/trunk/part of a tree where you want them and then cutting the newly rooted tree off of the original tree and planting it

Thank you for answering that. I think this is too advanced for me right now. I need to keep this tree alive through winter then maybe I can explore doing it. Speaking of keeping it alive, fertilising it with slow release pellets is not advisable until spring, isn't it? Or does it matter?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You should fertilize now if the leaves are still green. Welcome!

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
1 With this maple, I'm thinking of double trunk which is upright and have its leaves terraced in different levels. Am I even making any sense there?
2 I am thinking of repotting it this coming spring as it has been on its pot since I got it.
3 I have no idea what it is - is not seeing a graft a bad thing?
4 Thank you - I am learning so much from here.
I would definitely air layer as Bobby suggested then. I think it would look much better if all the trunks emerged from the ground, rather than splitting 3 or 4 inches up.

Regarding not seeing a graft - no, that's perfectly fine, it's generally preferred to have ungrafted trees. I was just wondering if it was a specific type of JM.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would definitely air layer as Bobby suggested then. I think it would look much better if all the trunks emerged from the ground, rather than splitting 3 or 4 inches up.

Regarding not seeing a graft - no, that's perfectly fine, it's generally preferred to have ungrafted trees. I was just wondering if it was a specific type of JM.

Thank you guys - I finally have a direction with this maple.

Oh, I actually chose to get the common Japanese Maple, or it was listed as Mountain Maple.

The very stunning colour of deshojo and the other types is too stunning for me to handle. The subtle orange-yellow-green colours of the mountain maple is what I really want. But who knows, I might get a deshojo in the future as well - they all look so good.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for answering that. I think this is too advanced for me right now. I need to keep this tree alive through winter then maybe I can explore doing it. Speaking of keeping it alive, fertilising it with slow release pellets is not advisable until spring, isn't it? Or does it matter?
Leaves have already fallen off, I already see new buds. I think its leaves have fallen off too early!
You'll want to air layer in spring - plenty of time to figure out technique. There are a ton of YouTube videos, and this thread goes through the process in detail:

If you have healthy buds, I wouldn't worry about the leaves falling a little early.

Top Bottom