Green Japanese Maple Design Help

It is like suggesting an open hear surgery on someone who just hast a gastric bypass placed.You just ask for trouble and increase the risks.
I'm trying to learn...what makes it too vulnerable to work on? There seem to be plenty of roots, but you think not enough?

Not sure when it was chopped. I'm guessing in the last few months during dormancy, since there are no small branches.

Thanks.

You have a tree where the primary life support has been damaged by digging. The tree needs to invest in the roots AND invest in creating new energy provision (leaves). This weakens a plant. Major cuts on the trunk do the same thing, opening the tree up for pathogens, and increase the risk to the tree giving up on a part of the plant. Crucial cuts I only make on healthy trees.

What is the soil mix you use for this tree @jimlau ?
Is it 100% potting soil ?
He used soil conditioner mix with seed starter. I have my mix of perlite, bark, Turface}. For such a large tree in a large pot, does it matter less what the soil is {which I was told}, or should i try to substitute into the better mix?

It's been in there for about 2 weeks, no buds yet visible.

Last edited:
i would advise you to buy pumice and/or lava (pouzzolane) and/or akadama and transpot your tree in a flatter pot with a draining substrat. I'm a fan of flat and large wood boxes because the trees grow very well in it, and the roots developp horizontally so you can developp a good spreading nebari. If you keep this deep plastic pot, the water will go down after watering and the roots will go down too, in order to reach the water at the bottom of the pot. It is far better to use a flat container.. large but flat

An example of flat and large wood box (very nice and refined JM in Japan)
acer palmatum kouka-en.jpeg

Youve definitely convinced me to try flat, wider training containers Clem, im building a couple wooden boxes now, first time ever! and im also upgrading my soil!

Youve definitely convinced me to try flat, wider training containers Clem, im building a couple wooden boxes now, first time ever! and im also upgrading my soil!
happy to hear that, i wish you'll get great results with it, at least better than in the previous pots :cool:

There is something strange about the two trunks. It *could* be that they are not merged, except for at root level.

And I will repeat. No drastic work this year.
Buds and new branches are developing. How do I balance not doing anything to it with not ending up with internodal distances from the trunk to the first leaf?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom