Is this more than Aphid damage?

I call it white fly or lace bug... Bonide should help. I have also used malathion for a more immediate result. It usually takes several applications to get them all. Leaves are permanently damaged. It will take at least two years to get all healthy foliage again. You need to watch when you water...if you see small white bugs flying up from the trees it is time to investigate. If it seems like they won't go away check any shrubs in the landscape for infections and treat those as well. Very unsightly but can usually be brought under control with a little effort.

I have heard it is good but if you're trying to kill something that is already destroying your trees this might not be a good choice as it will take awhile to get watered into the ground and taken up by the tree or whatever you are trying to protect. I would get something that will kill on contact and then thoroughly spray the tree top to bottom and under the leaves too.
I should have added more detail to my question. I did spray it with Ortho Insect Mite & Disease 3-in-1, and I wanted to know if the Bonide I found online was good for future use. :)

Bonide is Imacloprid. That is a very effective systemic. It will definitely kill azalea lace bugs. Most will be gone in just a few days but there's enough residual in the plant to also kill any new hatchings for a few weeks. Just remember it will also kill anything else that eats or sucks on any part of the plant, including bees and other friends.
Thanks. That's the part I don't like.

Yup, aphid damage can show through from the other side of the leaf.

When I move my tropicals in for winter I always wind up getting a nasty infestation. Neem hasn't been enough to save my trees and plants, but it does slow it down a little. I usually have better luck with my homemade tobacco tea, but it discolors everything, and I'd rather not use it on the potted herbs.
This year I plan to hit everything but the edibles with a hardcore systemic as they come inside, and stick with neem or tobacco for those.

Here they're bad enough I suggest blasting them with water to start, a systemic after the tree dries off. Follow up every few weeks with been as a preventative.
Y'all gotta stop using neem that stuff is snake oil if the azerderactin has been removed

Does it kill mites and how long will it last if you know? Thanks
Most insecticides do not kill mites. You need a dedicated miticide to kill mites. Imacloprid - Bonide does not kill mites because it is not a miticide.

Y'all gotta stop using neem that stuff is snake oil if the azerderactin has been removed
Yeah, you have to get the cold pressed, not the hydrophobic extract.
It's done ok as a preventative for me in the past for many pests and fungal issues, but once you actually see something you're already screwed.

I’m going to second @ShadyStump, @shohin_branches and @August44 comments, at least with respect to aphids.

I’m using cold press Neem oil, but, honestly, I can’t say that it’s done anything other than making the leaves shiny. After a number of applications, I’ve still had to resort to systemic (last year and this year).

I used Bonide last year, and have applied it again this year (when I saw the infestation), but it is taking time to kill off the aphids (it’s been a week +/-, with minimal improvement so far - but, I’m not worried, it will start working soon. Also, this is a Hornbeam, so I’m hoping that the systemic won’t affect other insects as it’s not blooming/flowering).

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom