Indoor Bonsai for Beginners

Yes it does, but the stinky Chinese lady had it tagged as Fukien tea and yelled at me about it, so it's up to you. Call it monkey if you like.

I've seen your beautiful Fukien tree in the American bonsai thread. Here is mine, picture from last year, was AL-ed, hight reduced, fighting with this... but now I've got all FT family!
carmona%201%202015%202.jpg

If so, I just bought a privet.

Schefs are super easy to take care of. You can hack em back and they grow. Some people don't even consider them bonsais, much like portucalaria afra's (dwarf jades). I have both and consider both to be bonsai-able.

I posted some progress shots of both in this thread:

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/some-of-my-butcherings.20629/

Both are easy to care for, even for a college student. The Hawaiian schefflera will even forgive you for the lack of good light.

I'll post some updates to the port. Afra before August is over.

Have fun and good luck.

Thanks a lot. Scanned your thread with great interest btw, very nice stuff.

Well and the appartment crammed with trees. You're welcome.

Well and the appartment crammed with trees. You're welcome.
I know you're an expert on indoor bonsai, so I would like your advice please. I just got a tiny mame serissa, and truthfully am concerned about putting it outside in the heat we've been having. I know they are fussy, and don't like to be moved around. I was considering putting it by my giant eastern exposure window, where the Fukien Teas live. They do fine there.

No, my friend, I'm not an expert, only doing my best. There's a lot of Tropical guys that can help. I keep my carmonas and serissas indoor on the E-facing window sill...all year round and supported by aqua T5 bulbs in the winter. If I'm lucky enough, I will search for their outdoor placement advices in five years.

No, my friend, I'm not an expert, only doing my best. There's a lot of Tropical guys that can help. I keep my carmonas and serissas indoor on the E-facing window sill...all year round and supported by aqua T5 bulbs in the winter. If I'm lucky enough, I will search for their outdoor placement advices in five years.
Thank you!

I know you're an expert on indoor bonsai, so I would like your advice please. I just got a tiny mame serissa, and truthfully am concerned about putting it outside in the heat we've been having. I know they are fussy, and don't like to be moved around. I was considering putting it by my giant eastern exposure window, where the Fukien Teas live. They do fine there.

Serissa love heat, so you can put it outdoors, but only in the shade. Putting it in the sun immediately will fry it.

Serissa love heat, so you can put it outdoors, but only in the shade. Putting it in the sun immediately will fry it.
Ok thank you. I have my grewia, azalea, and Brazilian rain tree on the patio on the east side of house under a shade tree, since they're all pretty new, and it has been really hot. I have heard the horror stories of moving a serissa, so trying to minimize that.

Ok thank you. I have my grewia, azalea, and Brazilian rain tree on the patio on the east side of house under a shade tree, since they're all pretty new, and it has been really hot. I have heard the horror stories of moving a serissa, so trying to minimize that.

To be fair, it's already been moved from wherever it was before to your house, so it's going to freak out regardless.

To be fair, it's already been moved from wherever it was before to your house, so it's going to freak out regardless.
I was wondering if you had time, if you might check out my willow leaf focus thread in tropicals, and give me your thoughts. Since you are the Ficus guy :)

Back
Top Bottom