Need Grow-light Recommendations for (Permanently) Indoor Bonsai

Neo_Rokkenjima

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Summary: See title.

Hello, everyone. That time of year has come once again, here in the Northeast US of A. That time of year, where those of us who leave their tropicals outside during the warmer months finally bring them indoors, while I do absolutely nothing.
Why is it that I do nothing, you ask? Well, that's because I happen to be possessed of circumstances which allow me to keep my tropicals indoors 24/7, without any real need for grow lights. My trees are very healthy/ thriving under these conditions, and I find that this arrangement is generally superior to keeping them outdoors for any amount of time-- but, this is a topic for another day.

This year, I would like to do something. Because my trees are so healthy, I am sure they would manage to eke out another year of winter survival without serious grow lights. That said, I'd like to make their lives a little easier, and so, I decided to give my trees a gift this Christmas in the form of a grow light. Besides ensuring that their winters are as easy as possible going forwards, I'm really focused on trunk-thickening right now. I hate losing 3-5 months of development every year, with the added risk of possibly losing my trees, because they aren't getting enough sun during wintertime. To that end, I think a grow light has become somewhat necessary for my setup, if I am going to continue forward in this hobby.

Situation: My four, permanently-indoor trees (BRT, ficus, Surinam cherry, and a Fukien) are currently housed on a dedicated 48"x13" bonsai table, which is positioned flush against the interior sill of a large, south-facing window. Space directly to the left or right of this table is highly limited; there is an additional 13"x9" of free space, directly to the left of the table, and that's about it. Some limited compromises could be made to achieve more space, but as you can see I'm on a tight budget in this regard. What I want is a lighting setup that will completely cover this table, while providing my trees the extra energy they will need in order to maintain good health and continue developing throughout the cold season. I am not particular about the type of fixture-- it could be a bar light that requires suspension, a single floor lamp, or multiple lights positioned at different angles. Bonus points if this solution can be re-employed elsewhere, should I eventually decide to expand my tablespace vertically (ie: by converting it into a fixture with multiple shelves.) What I do care about, is that the light itself should be LED and firesafe. I am concerned about creating excessive heat in this space.

I have done the absolute bare minimum of research on this subject. Thusfar, I have looked into Spider Farmer, with particular attention paid to their model SF600 because it is about the perfect size and price. The pros are that the light would just about perfectly cover the space, the price is great, and this is a supplemental lighting situation-- meaning, the light doesn't need to put out insane power, because the plants will still be getting some sun, even during winter. The cons are that I have no idea what I'm doing, no clue if this light is suitable for trees, no clue if it will even do anything for them, etc... I'd also need to figure out a way to suspend the light over the table in question because it is not a shelf setup, but at least I'd have extra cash with which to accomplish that end.

Other factors to consider: The cherry tree is about 6" higher than any other tree that I own, with all of the other trees being of about equal height, pots included. I can always sit the other trees on something to elevate them, but this will affect how the light ought to be positioned.

I sincerely hope that people who are more knowledgeable than me can provide me some recommendations. I am totally clueless on this matter. I'm usually pretty good about learning new things on my own, and making my own decisions, but I'm just not sure if my brain has the space to memorize all of this information about wattage, effective wavelengths, micromole density, etc... In other words, I'm not a light scientist, and not trying to become one.

***Save your retinas and do not get blurple lights.***

These are great lights:

***Save your retinas and do not get blurple lights.***

These are great lights:

How would you say this stacks up against the SF600? Asking because they just dropped their price for Black Friday, and I can officially get 2 SF600s for slightly over the price of 1 Florawave P80. Is the SF600 going to obliterate my eyesight? Please & Thank You!

I have been using these for a few years with great success:

Pretty reasonable and the trees all seem to respond well to them.

How would you say this stacks up against the SF600? Asking because they just dropped their price for Black Friday, and I can officially get 2 SF600s for slightly over the price of 1 Florawave P80. Is the SF600 going to obliterate my eyesight? Please & Thank You!
Seems like the SF600 is a tiny bit less wattage so it should work fine and at a great price. My friend uses the florawave with cacti so the SF600 will be perfectly adequate for your trees.

You should be aware that your BRT will still slow down for about 2 months in winter whether you have them under lights or not. That said, I think supplemental lighting is important when they are indoors.

I have been keeping BRT for 8 to 10 years (I forget exactly which year I got my first BRT). During the summer, they are outside from June-October.

When inside (Mid Oct-Mid June), I keep them under six four foot long 32 watt T8 5600K daylight bulbs on a table 60 inches x 24 inches. Someday, I'll upgrade to LED, just haven't yet since I still have bulbs I haven't used yet. The lights are on 15 hours a day. I usually feed the 2x a month as well.

Every year they slow down and pretty much stop growing in January and February. While they are tropical and don't go through dormancy like temperate trees do, I think they do have a rest period in the winter. They start growing again in March typically.

I have been using these for a few years with great success:

Pretty reasonable and the trees all seem to respond well to them.
Should have added this:

SANSI Grow Light Bulb with COC Technology, Full Spectrum 24W Grow Lamp (300 Watt Equivalent) with Optical Lens for High PPFD, Perfect for Seeding and Growing of Indoor Plants, Flowers and Garden​

Thanks everyone for the input, so far. I'm starting to narrow down my choices.

I am certain there must be a way to suspend the SF600 or Florawave over my table, despite not having a backboard or overhead shelf to attach the lights to. That being said, deducing exactly how to do it, without making the room look like S, has been my hang-up on these bar-style lights thusfar. They really would be ideal, and I'm still considering them very heavily, but I'm just not sure that it makes sense for me to go in this direction. (On that note: If anybody has some additional recommendations, re: how this might be accomplished, I'd love to hear them.) As a result, I am giving myself until the end of the week to collect information and decide. I do not want to wait any longer than that, as I think it's imperative for the health of my trees that they get what they need sooner, rather than later.

The SANSI lights are interesting. I had overlooked these at first but, oddly enough, it turns out I have a friend who also uses these bulbs for his trees-- and he does seem to like them. If I were to go in this direction, I'd also need to ask and answer several other questions. Namely, how do they stack up against the aforementioned bar-style lights? How many bulbs do I need? And then, of course, I would need to decide on adjustable lamps to fit them into... Once again, any recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you all for putting up with my insufferable indecisiveness.

Thanks everyone for the input, so far. I'm starting to narrow down my choices.

I am certain there must be a way to suspend the SF600 or Florawave over my table, despite not having a backboard or overhead shelf to attach the lights to. That being said, deducing exactly how to do it, without making the room look like S, has been my hang-up on these bar-style lights thusfar. They really would be ideal, and I'm still considering them very heavily, but I'm just not sure that it makes sense for me to go in this direction. (On that note: If anybody has some additional recommendations, re: how this might be accomplished, I'd love to hear them.) As a result, I am giving myself until the end of the week to collect information and decide. I do not want to wait any longer than that, as I think it's imperative for the health of my trees that they get what they need sooner, rather than later.

The SANSI lights are interesting. I had overlooked these at first but, oddly enough, it turns out I have a friend who also uses these bulbs for his trees-- and he does seem to like them. If I were to go in this direction, I'd also need to ask and answer several other questions. Namely, how do they stack up against the aforementioned bar-style lights? How many bulbs do I need? And then, of course, I would need to decide on adjustable lamps to fit them into... Once again, any recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you all for putting up with my insufferable indecisiveness.
I'm using five of the Sansi lites in aluminum clamp lamps for a 3'x6' table that holds my trees in the winter...

Clamp lamps II.jpg

I bought the SF2000 about a month ago as my first grow light. It has resulted in Ficus + P.Afra exploding in growth, couldn't be happier. It has a built-in dimmer and no fan so is super quiet.

Yes it's my first grow light so I have no real reference compare it to, but the growth is very impressive and more than I used to get outdoors in Houston TX.

I bought the SF2000 about a month ago as my first grow light. It has resulted in Ficus + P.Afra exploding in growth, couldn't be happier. It has a built-in dimmer and no fan so is super quiet.

Yes it's my first grow light so I have no real reference compare it to, but the growth is very impressive and more than I used to get outdoors in Houston TX.
My hope is that I'll be able to accomplish something similar to this, at least in terms of results. People crap on indoor-only bonsai here (as they rightfully should tbh,) but having a 100% lack of pests does wonders for a tree's development. No more baby growth getting nuked by aphids.

I almost bought the SF2k, myself, but I suspect it's physically bigger than I need/ want... Of course, they don't list the unit's dimensions anywhere on their site. For reference, my table setup is only about 48"lx13"w. That's kind of why I gravitated towards the SF600.

My hope is that I'll be able to accomplish something similar to this, at least in terms of results. People crap on indoor-only bonsai here (as they rightfully should tbh,) but having a 100% lack of pests does wonders for a tree's development. No more baby growth getting nuked by aphids.

I almost bought the SF2k, myself, but I suspect it's physically bigger than I need/ want... Of course, they don't list the unit's dimensions anywhere on their site. For reference, my table setup is only about 48"lx13"w. That's kind of why I gravitated towards the SF600.
I measured my SF2000 for you and it's 25.5" wide x 10.5" deep.

My table is also a long one which is why I got the 2k since it covers a wider/longer area (SF publishes 2x4ft flower coverage / 3x4ft veg coverage).

Too bad you can't extend your table width somehow to get a bit more area, that 13" is pretty narrow 😢

I upgraded to this grow cart. [With a top built for it as my old one had a top. I also needed a bowl to go under the hanging tree.] Love it. Now to the right I've a makeshift bench. With a hydrofarm grow light with corn bulb same that is in my cold greenhouse to keep me from two stepping early. 8595556_101_small-led-grow-lights-sunlite-compact-2-tier-garden-tif.jpgScreenshot_20231123_045544_Gallery.jpg

There are people here that put their tropicals on shelf set ups during the winter.

I think @Carol 83 uses one, or @Cadillactaste ?
I use regular plant stands with light bars and Bootstrap Farmer trays underneath and trees are elevated to keep them from sitting in water. inside shelves.jpg

I have a couple of plant lights.
4 ft - 6 tube t5ho of the top shelf and spider farmers on the middle shelves.
I also have a shelf unit for regular houseplants.
I have finnex led lights mounted under the shelves.
If you order the spider farmer just make sure you get the one with the adjustable dial.
The first one that I ordered was not adjustable- I put that one over the succulents.
The one good thing that I can say about spider farmer is they do stand behind their products if something goes wrong. They sent me a new light when mine died.
IMG_9652.jpegIMG_9653.jpegIMG_7139.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom