Greensboro NC Bonsai…

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
Anybody know of anything Bonsai related around Greensboro NC? I’ll be traveling there this week. I had hit up a small bonsai nursery ran by a fella by the name of Chip or Skip. Can’t really remember, it’s been a few years. Is he still around? Or any other leads on cool destinations down that way within an hour or so? Thanks in advance

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Isn't the Bonsai Learning Center around there?

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think his name is Skip. I called earlier this year and he closed his nursery. I don’t remember what it was called but I stopped by several times.

Would strongly suggest Bonsai Learning Center around Statesville it is pretty close.

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
I think his name is Skip. I called earlier this year and he closed his nursery. I don’t remember what it was called but I stopped by several times.

Would strongly suggest Bonsai Learning Center around Statesville it is pretty close.
Damn, I had gotten some cool cultivars of Japanese Maples from him for cheap too. He was super friendly when I was there. Thanks for the info and the recommendation!

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would reach out to the BLC before you go. I was visiting family and drove by - it’s located in a residential neighborhood and I was too shy to ring the bell.

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
I would reach out to the BLC before you go. I was visiting family and drove by - it’s located in a residential neighborhood and I was too shy to ring the bell.
Lol. Sometimes you gotta just ring the bell , no regrets. Good look out 👍. Thanks !

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely call before you go. Pretty incredible what he has built up there. Would hate for you to miss it and he is very responsive.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn, I had gotten some cool cultivars of Japanese Maples from him for cheap too. He was super friendly when I was there. Thanks for the info and the recommendation!
Ironically, Skip is who sold me the seedling lace leaf maple in this post for 5$.

TomRVA

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh man that’s awesome ! What a steal! I bought a few maples from him that he had lost the tags to, I think I paid 10$ per maple. Both very beautiful. One was in a two gallon container and one was in a smaller pot. I figured the one in the smaller pot was a grafted cultivar, but as I got to looking at it when I got home , for sure not grafted.
I believe it’s a seedling or cutting off some cultivar with small leaves.Best guess I have is a cutting from a A.P. ‘ Catalina Yatsabusa’. Maybeit is a seedling , if you bought a funky seed grown maple from him… shoot- I bought a funky variegated Chinese elm from him too. He didn’t know the cultivar name from that either but it’s got strong variegation. I’ll post some pics. But ya I really enjoyed BSin trees and maples with him, he seemed like a good guy.
The 1st 3 pics are of the one i assumed was ‘Catalina Yatsabusa’ and the 4th +5th is an unlabeled graft. Both for 10$!

Attachments

• IMG_9277.jpeg
    IMG_9277.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9276.jpeg
    IMG_9276.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7057.jpeg
    IMG_7057.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7059.jpeg
    IMG_7059.jpeg