Bonsai species for partial sun

Denmark and other parts of (true) Scandinavia have a funny climate, though. Quite North in latitude, but right on a warm current coastline. Same with Pacific US and Canada. Look at a winter hardiness zone and to all the way North towards Alaska. Lots zone zone 7 and 8s. Then look at a Daily Light Integral map. You have these areas with a strange mixture of very mild winters, but quite low Daily Light Integrals. Try to grow a tree in those places, that wants full sun in say Central Japan. Or Maryland/Virginia, or France/Northern Italy. If you then also have just 2 to 3 hours of morning sun. Even for Japanese maple trees, I think they require full sun, right? Just not full sun in a hot dry climate.
I'm in 7a.
My maples get morning sun (4-5 hours) and afternoon shade during the hottest part of the day. Seems to be the only way to prevent getting sun scorched.

I am sure they need shade in your area, then. But, your latitude and DLI are the same as Southern Europe. Plus, we get more clouds in summer here. Even when compared to the west coast of NA. Denmark may only get half the sun you are getting during summer. Not saying they would also not prefer to get shade on hot summers here. Probably they would. But comparing east coast NA to Europe is always funny business.

Last edited:
Those are the ones that didn’t get a vote by the Hokkaido judges!

Seriously are the numbers just a construct? If not more azalea % wise become bonsai!

Best
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom