Advice For My Portulacaria Cascade

EJG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As you can see I am using grow lights and lots of natural light. I am trying to get more back budding and refinement. What else can I do?IMG_1794.jpeg

Have you tried a graft?
I linked these two last year as an experiment. IMG_20231219_100649.jpgIMG_20231219_100658.jpg

Reactions: EJG
You can try defoliation or a hard prune on all the branches. That usually stimulates a lot of back buds. Now's probably not the time though. Middle of summer is best for the climate I see outside your window.

You can also try scoring the branches with a knife or scissors tip below the node where you want a bud. That sometimes works.

I have tried a gentle piercing where I want a new branch. Is it safe to be a little less gentle?

Please put your location in your profile, it is hard to give advice without knowing this. Assuming your climate isn't too extreme, put it outside for the summer and fertilize it. It will give you all the back buds you want and be healthier too. Then you can start selective pruning.

I have a new update photo. Please chime in with advice. I appreciate the help. Also, I plan on repotting soon to a tall square etched cascade pot.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.jpeg
    IMG_2128.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2124.jpeg
    IMG_2124.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 42
Please put your location in your profile, it is hard to give advice without knowing this. Assuming your climate isn't too extreme, put it outside for the summer and fertilize it. It will give you all the back buds you want and be healthier too. Then you can start selective pruning.
I’m in Dallas, Texas

Your tree looks very good! The curving portion of the top looks a little out of character with the rest of the tree, but that may be from looking at a photo instead of the tree in person.

Portulacarias are more cold tolerant than some other tropicals. I have already moved mine outside in the shade here in Dallas. I won't bring them back in unless the temperature goes below 40F.

This is looking really nice!
For me, I just prune back when something is starting to look too leggy or out of shape. That simple.
Keep up what you’re doing. Lots of light and nutrients will ensure that you get plenty of back buds wherever you cut.
Do you have a certain area your trying to address?

I am trying to develop the crown to improve overall balance.

Back
Top Bottom