A beginners jump into the yamadori deep end

I see a cool final result and I like the large chunky end result. I still think that the loss of future air layers and other material in the haste to get a dramatic transformation and start now is regrettable.

I don't know if this tree will survive or make a sap withdrawal, but, for me, the trunk line selection is good (for this tree and also for the last one you showed that has recover). For me the shape of the tree before was more suitable for a "Niwaki" because it had long sections of trunk that were stiff and without any taper. Your tree now has a good taper and trunk movements.

In my experience, it is better to make large cuts in summer on a vigorous tree. For example, on this tree, you put the 1rst pic tree (with all the branches) in a pot, you let it recover, become stronger for 1 year or 2. And then, in summer, for example August, you trim it severely like your did a few days ago. Normally, in my experience, new buds (and new branches with leaves) appears 3 weeks after trimming.

show us the rest of its evolution, please :cool:

Have you seen Mark morelands (the UKBA guy) talk about propagation?

The chopped off bits of this are probably ideal candidates!
I haven't been able to attend one of his talks on the subject but it sounds really interesting. What is the high level technique he is talking about? Can it be applied to larger, hardwood cutting like the ones @Sixty’s cut off?

If the tree recovers and heals those wounds, it could make for an excellent "sumo" tree. That's not my sense of style, but it's also not my tree, and I'm not the one who would have to rent a skid loader to move it around if more of those branches were left in place.

I haven't been able to attend one of his talks on the subject but it sounds really interesting. What is the high level technique he is talking about? Can it be applied to larger, hardwood cutting like the ones @Sixty’s cut off?
Yes he primarily uses it for larger hardwood cuttings,

If you've seen any of the shohin and mame trees he has been displaying in the last few years, all have been from cuttings.

I would highly recommend his talks or at the least speaking to someone who has seen and understood it!

@Sixty’s think less like an air layer and more like almost instant shohin and mame, small section of trunk into new leader and branches, 3 year project to a finished small tree

I don't know if this tree will survive or make a sap withdrawal, but, for me, the trunk line selection is good (for this tree and also for the last one you showed that has recover). For me the shape of the tree before was more suitable for a "Niwaki" because it had long sections of trunk that were stiff and without any taper. Your tree now has a good taper and trunk movements.

In my experience, it is better to make large cuts in summer on a vigorous tree. For example, on this tree, you put the 1rst pic tree (with all the branches) in a pot, you let it recover, become stronger for 1 year or 2. And then, in summer, for example August, you trim it severely like your did a few days ago. Normally, in my experience, new buds (and new branches with leaves) appears 3 weeks after trimming.

show us the rest of its evolution, please :cool:
The tree did had a lot of defects, and as you pointed out. Hopefully buds will start showing up soon and just let it do it’s thing this season.
Will need a few days to recover from seeing this thread.

Helpfull note: If you want those root-cuts to pop new roots ake sure they stay well-burried. If the cut ends stick out of the soil the tendency is that they are bad at re-sprouting roots.
thanks they are at decent dept with plenty of finer roots to sustain the tree meanwhile

Yes he primarily uses it for larger hardwood cuttings,

If you've seen any of the shohin and mame trees he has been displaying in the last few years, all have been from cuttings.

I would highly recommend his talks or at the least speaking to someone who has seen and understood it!

@Sixty’s think less like an air layer and more like almost instant shohin and mame, small section of trunk into new leader and branches, 3 year project to a finished small tree
@Sixty’s and anyone else interested I just posted the simple set up of this system here
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/aeroponic-propagation-of-jm-cuttings.64968/#post-1129473

Sadly only my example pics, but I have personally seen the talk and examples of the large cuttings possible with this method

I now make almost all of my cuttings this way

Can't wait! I've been following this one for a while and I really like the choices you made. Not what I would have done but you definitely saw something I didn't.

Amazing. How will look like the wound covered with epoxy? it will fall off when fully healed?

It's good seeing new growth, I hope it makes a full recovery. What are your plans for overwintering?

Amazing. How will look like the wound covered with epoxy? it will fall off when fully healed?
For the time being it doesn’t look too bad, I should have enough new shoots next year to look at some tread grafts along the cuts to aid healing in 2026. As the bark starts rolling I would have to look at removing some of it.

It's good seeing new growth, I hope it makes a full recovery. What are your plans for overwintering?
Thank you, me too it has been taking ages to come through, I believe we still have another 3 months here in the uk to get some growth before the winter start, as long as we get that I may not have to give it any protection over the winter period it’s in a big pot so hopefully should be safe

Don't count on it!

Looks like autumn coming in already!

We might not get freeze til early next year but leaves will have dropped and growth will stop much before then

Make sure you have a back up plan in place,

This is too nice a trunk to risk losing

Don't count on it!

Looks like autumn coming in already!

We might not get freeze til early next year but leaves will have dropped and growth will stop much before then

Make sure you have a back up plan in place,

This is too nice a trunk to risk losing
Last year leafs only started falling mid November, I have a few large frost protection bags and space under the benches for some of the most sensitive trees as a back up plan.

Back
Top Bottom