What is your favorite bonsai content?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is so much content out on the internet these days (for free and for a subscription) that it can sometime be overwhelming, especially for beginners in the hobby.

I often find myself looking for more bonsai content to consume, and then getting frustrated with some of less than stellar content that I stumble upon.

Some of my favorite forms of content are bonsai books/ebooks, blogs, videos, and progression threads here on bnut.

What are your favorite forms of bonsai content and why? What specifically do you like to see from the bonsai content you enjoy?

I love both books and videos.
I’ve found Harry Harrington’s books quite informative.
In terms of videos my subscription to Mirai has definitely not disappointed.
What do you enjoy most in the videos? Is it the demonstrations, the theory or techniques?

I had a mirai subscription at one point and enjoyed a handful of videos but most were way too long for me to sit through without losing attention. He did have a handful of great videos though

What do you enjoy most in the videos? Is it the demonstrations, the theory or techniques?

I had a mirai subscription at one point and enjoyed a handful of videos but most were way too long for me to sit through without losing attention. He did have a handful of great videos though

I think there’s something to take away from every Mirai video. He’s just very elaborate in his way of talking. It requires absolute attention to catch all the detailed information that he’s sharing in his tsunami of words.

I come from an academic background, so I’m quite attuned to this method of communicating. However, I do also understand it can come across as long winded and boring to some.

In terms of the actual content, I think Mirai was the first and so far only bonsai content creator that really made me understand bonsai design and styling. Now that I can create good looking bonsai, Mirai is also offering an incredible amount of horticultural knowledge for me to keep that pretty thing alive and thriving.

I like all the podcast’s because it’s cool to hear professionals and hobbyists talk about their experience. I work a lot so it’s nice to listen. And since I’m not 100% focused I can listen to the same one and get something new out of it. I also love social media such as this forum and others to socialize conveniently about bonsai.

This site. The people are great & the info archived is vast.

For internet material:
Peter Chan @ Herons bonsai and Nigel Saunders / The Bonsai Zone are 2 great YouTube’s especially when you’re starting out.

When I feel like I need more in depth information, Bjorn Bjorholm https://www.bjornbjorholm.com/
And
Ryan Neil - Mirai.

For comedy, Aussie Bonsai Bloke.

For quick inspiration, enjoyment, and Aesthetic wonder, Bonsai Releaf.

I like all the podcast’s because it’s cool to hear professionals and hobbyists talk about their experience. I work a lot so it’s nice to listen. And since I’m not 100% focused I can listen to the same one and get something new out of it. I also love social media such as this forum and others to socialize conveniently about bonsai.
I really enjoy the bonsai wire podcast. I really wish they would post new podcasts more often.

Agreed its great to be able to collaborate and share ideas and experiences as a community!

Bonsai Q, from Japan:

Free content with good subtitles, and educational on horticulture, techniques, style, and insights into Japanese bonsai culture and how they think about bonsai.

They are helping me to form a solid foundation for making good bonsai. My books contribute to that as well, but progression videos and techniques have accelerated my knowledge and understanding.

I think there’s something to take away from every Mirai video. He’s just very elaborate in his way of talking. It requires absolute attention to catch all the detailed information that he’s sharing in his tsunami of words.

I come from an academic background, so I’m quite attuned to this method of communicating. However, I do also understand it can come across as long winded and boring to some.

In terms of the actual content, I think Mirai was the first and so far only bonsai content creator that really made me understand bonsai design and styling. Now that I can create good looking bonsai, Mirai is also offering an incredible amount of horticultural knowledge for me to keep that pretty thing alive and thriving.
He’s easy to follow. My only hang ups are:

“Acrosst”
“Heighdth”
“dropping the kids off at school”

Amazing suggestions . However for me the most inspiring are the books from Michael Hagedorn - Schooling of an irrelevant bonsai monk and Bonsai Heresy .

Plus the blogs - https://crataegus.com/blog/ and https://bonsaitonight.com/recent/
Great suggestion, Bonsai Heresy is one of the top books available in my opinion, and Michael is a skilled artist. I also really enjoy his classes on Bonsai Empire that he and Bjorn Bjorholm put together.

He does not say “across” or “height” as warranted or normal.

Heighth is an older variant spelling that has fallen out of common usage in most parts of the English-speaking world, but it is still correct.

It's pretty normal for people to add a t sound to the end of the word across when transitioning to certain soft consonant or vowel sounds. I've never really thought about it before, but I feel like half the people I know pronounce it that way.

Back
Top Bottom