Sun after shimpaku repot

NeyensNeuro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hi folks,

I repotted my first shimpaku the other day! I'd had it for a year in the original (small) nursery pot, and I knew that it was time for a repot. The roots had wrapped around the container.

My question is about the amount of sunlight that is appropriate for shimpaku. I did minimal root pruning and mostly splayed them out flatter after gently loosening the top roots, and 3-4 small cuts to loosen the bottom of the root ball. The tips are all vibrant green, with some buds opening, and I barely see any yellow. The soil is a mix of lava rock (33%), pumice (33%), pine bark compost (10%) and the original soil (23%).

Is it okay for this tree to receive a couple hours of direct sunlight indoors? (It's warmer indoors and windy outside)

Attachments

• 20230422_160518.jpg
    20230422_160518.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230422_160526.jpg
    20230422_160526.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230422_160543.jpg
    20230422_160543.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 32
Outside
Sun
No indoors EVER (except possible frost overnight)
Protect from high winds outside , if it was tied correctly in pot , that will prevent it from jostling around in there.
Water as needed
Follow these and you will be fine.

Hi folks,

I repotted my first shimpaku the other day! I'd had it for a year in the original (small) nursery pot, and I knew that it was time for a repot. The roots had wrapped around the container.

My question is about the amount of sunlight that is appropriate for shimpaku. I did minimal root pruning and mostly splayed them out flatter after gently loosening the top roots, and 3-4 small cuts to loosen the bottom of the root ball. The tips are all vibrant green, with some buds opening, and I barely see any yellow. The soil is a mix of lava rock (33%), pumice (33%), pine bark compost (10%) and the original soil (23%).

Is it okay for this tree to receive a couple hours of direct sunlight indoors? (It's warmer indoors and windy outside)
Junipers should be outdoors at all times.
Junipers love sun.
After repotting, I usually leave it in dappled sun for two weeks; after that, full sun.

You have not removed appreciable amounts of root. The tree can go right back where it was, probably in full sun.
If repotting involves 50% root reduction there will be some justification for an adjustment period but with minimal root removal not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom