Sean’s Trident Projects

Looks great. How do you pick the rock to use? I would like to try a ROR but not sure what I'm looking for in the rock. Actually went to a rock & fossil store in NYC this morning to check out the possibilities. I seem to be looking at the shiny ascpects of the rock as opposed to the functional aspect.

Spring is here! One of the first tridents to start waking up is a chunky landscape tree I bought in early June, it had a great base with low branches. I chopped it down in the nursery car park and started working on it yesterday. I wired some branches and grafted a branch on the left.

I’ve learnt from some prior landscape tridents that it usually isn’t worth even bothering with the original roots so I found the widest point before the roots started doing their usual funky stuff in the plastic bag and started a ground layer with quick-set cement just below the top cut of the layer.

I wired the tiny shoot to the left of the big shoot in the middle to be my next section of trunk after the photos. I’ll use the foliage on the bigger shoot to fuel the layer and take it off if I see any swelling. The tiny shoot that I’ve wired is still really small so I doubt there will be too much swelling in that area while the bigger shoot grows.

I planted the whole thing in one of my grow beds today with the entire original root ball intact. Hopefully by next winter I can separate the ground layer and start a radial pancake flat nebari.

IMG_6669.jpegIMG_6666.jpegIMG_6665.jpeg

@SeanS,

I, and most people here I think, imagine South Africa as a very hot, dry country. But it's so big that there are of course many different climate zones.

Acer buergerianum trident maples, are great trees to work with.

I've got one in the back of my garden, it must be the only one kilometres aound I've never seen any in a hundred miles range, in parks or arboretums, can you figure that?), yet, it lives and thrives.
2022,2023, I usually prune it to 2 metres high, but I couldn't this year, and since I can't prune the roots, it's over 3 metres (about ten feet plus more or less a few toes) this year !

acerb00_220905a.jpg acerb00_230728a.jpg

I, and most people here I think, imagine South Africa as a very hot, dry country.
I spent quite a bit of time in nothern SA. I can confirm you will quickly drop that view of SA after waking up to early morning frost and having to go and do fieldowork at sunrise.. :).

it's so big that there are of course many different climate zones.
Indeed, high rainfall areas get up to ~1200mm / 47 inches of precipitation per year. :eek:

Intrigued to see how the cement layering works out.
I have seen quite a few succeed. I think @NaoTK also posted one a while back. @SeanS the only thing I would have added was some reinforcement. A coil or two of copper or steel wire around the tree to prevent the cement from cracking prematurely with the vigor of the trident. I'm deliberating doing the same thing with my large bald cypress, as I didn't know much at the time I planted it and it is a mess of roots very close to the base of the trunk.

This little ROR has started swelling its buds so it was time to dig it up. I grafted a shoot during the growing season to form the next section of trunk but looking at it now I don’t like where it’s heading so I’ll graft a seedling lower down going in the opposite direction sometime this week.

IMG_6705.jpegIMG_6706.jpegIMG_6707.jpegIMG_6708.jpegIMG_6710.jpegIMG_6711.jpeg

Something like this

2161D0D1-A026-462E-9766-957503E9B115.jpeg

While I was at it I dug up another small one to make space for a new ROR that needed to go where these 2 small ones were.

This tree was started 2 seasons ago by wrapping 2 seedlings around the rock. During this last season I bent a shoot down and threaded it between the trunks of the 2 seedlings. Once it fused I cut off the remainder of the 2 seedlings.

IMG_6712.jpeg
IMG_6713.jpeg

Here’s you can see where the 2 seedling trunks end and the graft takes over. There are buds on the graft right where it comes out from the grafting point and a small shoot that will form the 1st branch on the underside of the graft (you can see it in the side-on shots).

IMG_6714.jpeg

IMG_6715.jpeg
IMG_6716.jpeg
IMG_6717.jpeg

Dug a little trident from a grow bed. Originally started through a washer 3 seasons ago, the roots were a little thick and chunky last spring when I replanted it. It didn’t grow exceptionally well but I did manage to grow another section of trunk and it put on some decent width in the base.

IMG_6767.jpeg
IMG_6768.jpeg

You can see a pretty big gap in the roots in the first photo. 2 root grafts were performed and a 3rd on the back of the tree.

IMG_6769.jpeg
IMG_6770.jpeg
IMG_6771.jpeg

Potted up to start its future bonsai life

IMG_6774.jpeg

ROR trident. This one is planned to be a taller, skinny double trunk. It was in a pot placed on the ground in a grow bed so a few roots ran out the bottom and thickens nicely. The roots that remained in the pot (akadama, LECA, perlite) remained wonderfully fine and ramified, so cutting back the thick roots still left me with plenty of feeder roots 👍🏻
Just wish the rock was a different colour, the light brown isn’t ideal against the roots.

IMG_6775.jpegIMG_6776.jpegIMG_6777.jpeg

Potted back up

IMG_6786.jpeg

The inspiration for this tree

IMG_1335.jpeg

Dug one of my bigger RORs. Started with 5 1 year old seedlings last year. I tried to fuse a few of the seedlings during the season which turned out unsuccessful. The spots that I bound with cable ties and rubber tube swelled too much when the ties dug in.

My new plan is to graft new seedlings to the existing roots and use the 2 very low buds that have popped to replace the ugly scarred trunks. I grafted 2 seedlings and plan to do a third this weekend (I’ll put the 3rd seedling in a separate pot that I’ll secure to the big tub.

IMG_6859.jpeg

These 2 seedlings have stuck to the rock beautifully and cut back under into the little cave. I’m trying to graft the 2 sets of roots together to eventually remove the trunk of the right seedling completely.

IMG_6860.jpeg
f865e445-49d0-428c-8544-1bd6fd3732ee.jpeg

IMG_6861.jpeg
IMG_6863.jpeg

Bud that’s popped low on one of the chopped seedlings

IMG_6862.jpeg

922a4552-ddfa-452d-941c-de9c09fc99bd.jpeg

IMG_6864.jpeg

Im a fan of the aluminium tape, checked some this morning IMG_20230813_132009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom