Rootbound?

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a trident maple. I've been letting the new leader grow, untouched, to thicken it. The leader is about 6 feet tall. There are no new shoots on the leader and all branches.

I have a Japanese maple that also has a 6 foot leader, and it is still exploding with life on every branch.

I think it may be root -bound. Could be helpful to carefully put it into a larger pot? Or has the tree reached its height limit?

Thanks.

chop .jpg

Root bound may be tied to upper growth but not totally. Depends on the size of the pot, type of potting soil, when it was last repotted and how well that was done. I test for root bound by pressing on the soil. If it yields there's no problem. If the soil is rock hard it is time to repot.
Unfortunately you've missed the opportunity to repot properly. You mention you've been letting the leaders grow so maybe you should have also been aware of the ramifications of doing so and taken action a little sooner?
Slip potting into a larger pot is a possibility but please be aware that can also have problems. Water does not move easily between new and old soil so watering can become a problem. Even roots have trouble moving from the old to the new so slip potting sometimes does not have the desired outcomes. I would not slip pot or up pot without cutting some of the circling outer roots.

Root bound may be tied to upper growth but not totally. Depends on the size of the pot, type of potting soil, when it was last repotted and how well that was done. I test for root bound by pressing on the soil. If it yields there's no problem. If the soil is rock hard it is time to repot.
Unfortunately you've missed the opportunity to repot properly. You mention you've been letting the leaders grow so maybe you should have also been aware of the ramifications of doing so and taken action a little sooner?
Slip potting into a larger pot is a possibility but please be aware that can also have problems. Water does not move easily between new and old soil so watering can become a problem. Even roots have trouble moving from the old to the new so slip potting sometimes does not have the desired outcomes. I would not slip pot or up pot without cutting some of the circling outer roots.
I repotted this past winter. It was not root-bound at that time. I guess all that branch growth had the roots growing. Unfortunately when I push down the soil, it is pretty firm, except 1 corner. I should have used a bigger pot.

Back
Top Bottom