My first 2 true Bonsai.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 49943
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 49943

I got theese two bonsai from a dear friend does any one know what type or style they are. Just need to know how to care for them. Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• 20230716_183027.jpg
    20230716_183027.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 20230716_183050.jpg
    20230716_183050.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 214
I got theese two bonsai from a dear friend does any one know what type or style they are. Just need to know how to care for them. Thanks in advanced.
Welcome to the "club".
Both are bonsai most would be happy to have except...
The 1st one looks like a spider mite infested and devoured shimpaku juniper.
To test for spider mites, take a clean white sheet of paper or back of an envelope that's plain white
and hold under a branch and tap down on the branch like tapping on a bedroom door but downwards.
Move onto a couple more branches and repeat.
Hold level and move to a solid surface, set it down and watch a few moments.
The smallest of specs you see, that are moving, but so small you cannot see legs,
wipe your fingers across, and spider mites will leave a smear, brown to greenish.
Garden hose off in your driveway if you can with a good blast, but not overdoing it.
Close range with it on shower or 10-15 ft away on jet will only help reduce the number
of mites, but will begin to lighten the load. It will take months to recuperate, but Winter = no grow for months.
Edit your profile to include a general area and USDA grow zone.
It will help with folks that chime in and advise.

In the meantime, purchase some insecticidal soap and begin treatments on a weekly regimen.
When watering, spray the foliage well, but not right after spraying the tree with insecticide that lists mites.
Reduce light if you use Neem oil for a couple of days. Do not spray in full Sun. Quiet of the evening is best
with no rain for a day ahead.
Both should be treated. If you have other trees or plants that are susceptible, treat them prophylactically as well.

The other one looks to be a Japanese maple, that would be sensitive to long periods of Sun and heat.
Looks nice. Best of luck.

The most important part of care is watering. In some ways, its a very complicated subject, and if you're interesting in researching more, it's a great place to start. In other ways, its quite simple: water your trees when they are fully dry.

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but it appears they are planted in some sort of well-draining bonsai mix. If that is the case, it is best to water heavily to really saturate the soil, but only when the top two inches of soil are dry. Bonsai soil mixes are generally tuned to allow them to saturate to a level that is very good for the trees.

I would also get some other trees from a nursery to practice on. They don't have to be specific trees grown or styled for bonsai, but a species that is popular for bonsai (such as junipers, maples, elm, ficus) are generally going to be easier to work with. Having more trees means more technique, which helps you learn faster.

If you're interested in books, check out Stone Lantern; they publish quite a few great books. I've been focusing my research on horticulture, technique, and design in that order. Best of luck, and I hope you stick around and learn a lot!

They're both in large pots relative to tree size. Upside of this is they won't dry out as fast. The juniper looks a bit top heavy. Probably best to prune the top and choose a branch as the new leader. Let the lower braches grow larger. And as someone mentioned, it looks a bit sick. Need to sort this out.

I agree with Juniper chinensis - probably 'shimpaku' and Acer palmatum - Japanese maple.
It is worth adding a location to your personal profile so it pops up each time you post here. So much of bonsai is related directly to climate and time of year so that location is very important to get good advice for your trees in your area.

Thanks for the heads up I will definitely so this. Theese are my prized trees and I have alot of trees.

Washed down as much mites as I could cleaned up the top im in new orleans so the heat could be a factor to the sad brownish color.

Attachments

• 20230717_063741.jpg
    20230717_063741.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 133
I took closer pics if anyone sees any thing wrong please let me know. They may have been neglected or I may have been sold the ones in the worst condition. Either way I will take any advice to help get them back up and happy.

Added pics for analysis.

Attachments

• 20230717_063658.jpg
    20230717_063658.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230717_063704.jpg
    20230717_063704.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230717_063731.jpg
    20230717_063731.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 120
New orleans LA
If you tap on the three bars in the top left corner, then on your username in the drop-down menu, it will take you to your profile page where you can add your location and USDA zone. Cuts down on the number of times you get asked about your climate.

All good info so far.
I recommend the chopstick trick while you're figuring out watering. Find a wooden chopstick or skewer, and jab it into the soil as close to the trunk of the tree as you can, all the way to the bottom. Leave the stick there, and use it as a dipstick to check soil moisture. Water when the stick almost, but not quite, completely dry.

I took closer pics if anyone sees any thing wrong please let me know. They may have been neglected or I may have been sold the ones in the worst condition. Either way I will take any advice to help get them back up and happy.
They look to be decent and are in good substrate. Perhaps some better care will get them into top condition but I don’t think you were cheated at all.

Matthew, be sure to keep the Japanese maple out of direct afternoon sun. It’ll burn the leaves straight off of it. Our climate here in Metairie, I mean “New Orleans” can be challenging for them. There is a bonsai club meeting tomorrow night at the VFW hall on Hickory. The club auction is next month on the the12th. You should come check it out. Tommorrow is gonna be a Hollywood juniper styling competition and members will be bringing their 2 best trees to be judged for entry to another contest held during the auction. You’d get an opportunity to see a lot of local Bonsai and it’s a great place to ask questions and meet Bonsai folks.

Matthew, be sure to keep the Japanese maple out of direct afternoon sun. It’ll burn the leaves straight off of it. Our climate here in Metairie, I mean “New Orleans” can be challenging for them. There is a bonsai club meeting tomorrow night at the VFW hall on Hickory. The club auction is next month on the the12th. You should come check it out. Tommorrow is gonna be a Hollywood juniper styling competition and members will be bringing their 2 best trees to be judged for entry to another contest held during the auction. You’d get an opportunity to see a lot of local Bonsai and it’s a great place to ask questions and meet Bonsai folks.
I've heard lots of good things about the NO club. @Metairiematthew, you should go to that meeting. They can give you a whole lot more help than I can.

…and it would be good etiquette to leave a sick tree at home, but show pictures at the meeting instead.
Did you do the paper test?

The juniper looks a bit top heavy. Probably best to prune the top and choose a branch as the new leader. Let the lower braches grow larger.
@Metairiematthew . Of course this suggestion ^ is directed towards a very healthy juniper.
Your lower branches are not photosynthesizing, and at risk of loss now.
Next year I would begin thinning the top once and if, it is growing strongly,
and the tree is done sorting things out (It will lose foliage before it gains foliage).
Your juniper needs all the foliage it can muster right now to gain strength from the Sun.

One more thing on junipers, they can appear to be alive (which yours is) when in fact they have
already died. Or a branch can be the same. Conversely once this is experienced, a tree may be taken
for on its way out, when it is indeed save-able. Yours appears to be the latter and in need of
emergency intervention. The lower branches may well not make it. I hope they do.

Both trees have been treated with insicidal soap and moved to shade. Keep any tips coming. I think the hear dome messed up alot of my guys trees. Hopefully theese are not too far gone.

I did test nothing was found.

Back
Top Bottom