Japanese white pine seedlings (Pinus parviflora)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Does anyone have a current source for non-grafted Japanese white pine seedlings in the United States? I have seen several other threads from months or years past citing COVID-related supply chain issues and/or importing troubles that have made these more scarce. Any tips on where to find them would be appreciated, as I would love to work with these trees!

Does anyone have a current source for non-grafted Japanese white pine seedlings in the United States? I have seen several other threads from months or years past citing COVID-related supply chain issues and/or importing troubles that have made these more scarce. Any tips on where to find them would be appreciated, as I would love to work with these trees!
Any luck? I’m interested looking too.

Seems they are fairly difficult to find on their own roots . . . everything tends to be grafted (which I understand the reasoning).

Like you, I wanted a few ungrafted and (like you) I had difficulty finding trees. I ended up propagating my own. I’ll be dead before they’ll make convincing bonsai but, who knows, maybe one of my grandchildren will want to take up the hobby and finish the job.

Here are a couple of mine in grow bags . . .
FullSizeRender.jpegFullSizeRender.jpeg
I do see them being advertised from time to time so, you may find them (if you’re tenacious enough).

Good luck in your search

Seems they are fairly difficult to find on their own roots . . . everything tends to be grafted (which I understand the reasoning).

Like you, I wanted a few ungrafted and (like you) I had difficulty finding trees. I ended up propagating my own. I’ll be dead before they’ll make convincing bonsai but, who knows, maybe one of my grandchildren will want to take up the hobby and finish the job.

Here are a couple of mine in grow bags . . .
View attachment 545067View attachment 545068
I do see them being advertised from time to time so, you may find them (if you’re tenacious enough).

Good luck in your search
That's very nice material you have there. I'm glad you were able to find a solution. I'm sure there are wonderful bonsai from grafts, as you've eluded, but I want to avoid grafts if at all possible. Just a preference to stay 'natural.' I have a pretty neat grafted JM with green leaves on the bottom half and a deep red on top. One of my last memories of my grandfather was him discussing a JM he had in his garden, baffled by the two different leaf colors.

And I'm in the same boat and looking to my children to carry on some of my hobbies -- bonsai included. Not much time, if I'm being pragmatic. I'll teach what I can in the meantime.

I'll keep my ear to the ground for a JWP being sold. I may get a few seedlings in the meantime too. Thanks for getting back to me.

Don't know when Julian might have more spring up, but he's getting old.
Book mark this link and keep an eye open.
He's very pleasant to talk to, and answers his emails.

Jeremiah McKinney took over his copper wire end of things 6 yrs ago, so I expect to see his seedlings
and specimens that are left, phased out before too long.

Don't know when Julian might have more spring up, but he's getting old.
Book mark this link and keep an eye open.
He's very pleasant to talk to, and answers his emails.

Jeremiah McKinney took over his copper wire end of things 6 yrs ago, so I expect to see his seedlings
and specimens that are left, phased out before too long.
Thanks for the information. I'll inquire about them.

They pop up on Facebook Bonsai auctions and eBay sometimes. They are not cheap that is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom