Help! Dying serissa bonsai

Sam_

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I purchased a serissa phoetida back in April, its my first bonsai. A month ago the foliage started to turn yellowish but did not fall, and I have not been able to find specific info about how to take care of it. Since then it has slowly worsened.

After I bought it, I repotted it and changed the soil to an inorganic one composed of akadama 70% kyriuzuna and perlite 15%. I have not fertilized it.

I checked the trunk to see if it was green (I heard that means it’s alive) and it still is, but i feel like it will die soon if I don’t do anything.

A couple days ago someone advised me to cut the leaves and water it in the sink, since then I have taken more care with the watering.

I have been keeping it next to a window until now, it has somewhat direct lighting all day.

Should I move it outside or start fertilizing it?

Any advice is welcome.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Serissa is notorious for being finicky and touchy. It's a bad choice for beginners for all of the reasons you've noted above. Almost all who purchase this species when they begin have the exact same issues you have. It HATES to change locations/environments. It sulks when moved around, dropping leaves and looking stressed.

The soil mix you've chosen could be a bit on the lean side for serissa, they don't like to dry out (although they don't like too much water as well). Basic bonsai soil with some organic content (like pine bark) is fine for them.

If I were you, I would get the plant outside in semi-shade (if you live in an area where it's currently summer--you should provide at least your country/state info in your avatar for us to help best). It is a tropical to subtropical species and can't take freezing and doesn't like temps much below 50 F. That means you will have to bring it back inside for autumn and winter (if you live where those seasons happen)

At this point, I'd let it alone (except to insure it has adequate water--use the chop stick method to tell) and let it recover. Don't be tempted to move it around, or to be constantly trying to "help" it. Time and a stable environment will do more than you can. Stop listening to the person who told you to cut off the leaves. That's not going to help and potentially could hurt. DON'T FERTILIZE. That's not going to help at this point either.

Sam_

Seed
Reaction score
Serissa is notorious for being finicky and touchy. It's a bad choice for beginners for all of the reasons you've noted above. Almost all who purchase this species when they begin have the exact same issues you have. It HATES to change locations/environments. It sulks when moved around, dropping leaves and looking stressed.

The soil mix you've chosen could be a bit on the lean side for serissa, they don't like to dry out (although they don't like too much water as well). Basic bonsai soil with some organic content (like pine bark) is fine for them.

If I were you, I would get the plant outside in semi-shade (if you live in an area where it's currently summer--you should provide at least your country/state info in your avatar for us to help best). It is a tropical to subtropical species and can't take freezing and doesn't like temps much below 50 F. That means you will have to bring it back inside for autumn and winter (if you live where those seasons happen)

At this point, I'd let it alone (except to insure it has adequate water--use the chop stick method to tell) and let it recover. Don't be tempted to move it around, or to be constantly trying to "help" it. Time and a stable environment will do more than you can. Stop listening to the person who told you to cut off the leaves. That's not going to help and potentially could hurt. DON'T FERTILIZE. That's not going to help at this point either.

Thank you! I live in Spain so I will do what you said and take it outside.
Should I wait until next april to change the soil?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! I live in Spain so I will do what you said and take it outside.
Should I wait until next april to change the soil?
I'd put it outside in the shade if it's going to be extremely warm, like over 32 C. I would plan on repotting next spring IF the plant recovers and grows well for the next year.

Top Bottom