circledisk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I was walking my dog this morning and he pulled me into a really nice little hornbeam grove. There are quite a few trees here that I intend on collecting soon with great nebari and spread. One of the trees, presumably the grandfather, had a massive trunk with a 15"+ diameter (dog head for scale). I'll post updates here in a few weeks as I start collecting!

Attachments

• IMG_3024.JPG
    IMG_3024.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3030.JPG
    IMG_3030.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 153
Nice.
I love how muscular these trees look.
The one in that 1st pic looks like a winner.
How many do you plan on collecting?

I was walking my dog this morning and he pulled me into a really nice little hornbeam grove. There are quite a few trees here that I intend on collecting soon with great nebari and spread. One of the trees, presumably the grandfather, had a massive trunk with a 15"+ diameter (dog head for scale). I'll post updates here in a few weeks as I start collecting!
Nice find! American hornbeams collect well and respond well to bonsai techniques. I've had good success collecting them just before buds start moving, which in my climate is the end of February. Others have reported increased success when sealing the top cut wounds on American hornbeam (I'll be trying that this year).

Also, hopefully this place is not a place where tree collecting is forbidden (national, state, and county parks).

Nice.
I love how muscular these trees look.
The one in that 1st pic looks like a winner.
How many do you plan on collecting?
I plan on grabbing two of them probably, I'll get a better look at them and pick the best ones. They are gorgeous trees. We have quite a few crepe myrtles here too that have similar features.

Nice find! American hornbeams collect well and respond well to bonsai techniques. I've had good success collecting them just before buds start moving, which in my climate is the end of February. Others have reported increased success when sealing the top cut wounds on American hornbeam (I'll be trying that this year).

Also, hopefully this place is not a place where tree collecting is forbidden (national, state, and county parks).
I've never collected hornbeams before, they were not common (or even growing) in Massachusetts. I'm excited to collect and raise native trees. And yes, collecting here is permitted!

Town property actually, and I already spoke to them about collecting. Neutral territory!

Nice little grove you found there! I would wait till late February to collect in NC. They are very hardy trees but once you sever those roots they loose all their ability to survive a freeze. I tried fall collecting and had about a 50% survival rate. In the early spring I get 100% survival rates. Just fyi
If I happen to collect in fall anymore they get overwintered in the garage like this little guy I snagged a few weeks ago.
72073482588__C32355F0-535E-42D2-AAF8-05738DA41FCB.jpeg

Awesome yeah, I took note of your previous replies. I'll stay patient until February and build a new bench for the collected trees in the meantime.

A couple more cool ones in there too. Hard to decide which ones to collect!

Attachments

• IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3037.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3036.JPG
    IMG_3036.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 129
Nice little grove you found there! I would wait till late February to collect in NC. They are very hardy trees but once you sever those roots they loose all their ability to survive a freeze. I tried fall collecting and had about a 50% survival rate. In the early spring I get 100% survival rates. Just fyi
If I happen to collect in fall anymore they get overwintered in the garage like this little guy I snagged a few weeks ago.
View attachment 520669
I've been waiting and waiting. Would you say now's a good time to go and get them? I was planning on collecting a maple and one or two hornbeams next weekend.

I've been waiting and waiting. Would you say now's a good time to go and get them? I was planning on collecting a maple and one or two hornbeams next weekend.
If you have a garage or other space where you can store them and protect from freezing, then sure! Otherwise, probably better to wait 2-3 weeks or so (make sure there are no freezes in the 10 day forecast).

As @Kanorin said, as long as you can protect them from freezing you should be good to go!

Not sure I do, I live in an apartment and have a balcony. Would a small greenhouse work?

Not sure I do, I live in an apartment and have a balcony. Would a small greenhouse work?
You can also bring them in on nights where it’s forecasted below freezing. The only concern about the greenhouse is getting too warm during the day. If you have an outdoor utility closet that will also work, they don’t need light until bud break.

It's definitely an odd time of year. This week we have nightly lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s, and next week we're back to freezing. I've seen guys in the UK wrap their dormant trees in black plastic bags around this transition time. Have any of you experimented with that?

It's definitely an odd time of year. This week we have nightly lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s, and next week we're back to freezing. I've seen guys in the UK wrap their dormant trees in black plastic bags around this transition time. Have any of you experimented with that?

First you should add your location to your profile so people know where you’re at without reading all your posts.

I think the black bag is used to keep the Sun and heat off the tree so it doesn’t wake up. That said if the bag is tight on the tree I imagine it would make things worse. If the bag is a foot or so away from the tree it would work better and not trap heat, and just protect it from the sun. I think putting the tree in an unheated garage would work better.

Back
Top Bottom