Colorado Spruce - “Fat Albert”

Hermes33

Yamadori
Reaction score
I got a Colorado Spruce “Fat Albert” and had some questions. Was this grafted and if so to what? I want to start preparing it for bonsai and wanted to know if I should bury to the bulge and then eventually ground layer it? Can you with a Spruce? Still new …

Attachments

• IMG_3582.jpeg
    IMG_3582.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3578.jpeg
    IMG_3578.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3581.jpeg
    IMG_3581.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3580.jpeg
    IMG_3580.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3579.jpeg
    IMG_3579.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 89
It certainly looks like you have a graft union where you have swelling. Is Fat Albert a cultivar? If so, it’s most likely grafted to the species, or perhaps another Picea species that is better root stock. Only real way to know is to ask the nursery or grower.

Definitely grafted.

Fat Albert is one of the original Iseli cultivars from back in the 70's.... now pretty much available everywhere. Even seen them at Home Depot.

It’s from conifer kingdom and they definitely grafted my bloodgood and
Definitely grafted.

Fat Albert is one of the original Iseli cultivars from back in the 70's.... now pretty much available everywhere. Even seen them at Home Depot.
can I eventually ground layer at the bulge? Or would that defeat the purpose of grafting?

It’s from conifer kingdom and they definitely grafted my bloodgood and

can I eventually ground layer at the bulge? Or would that defeat the purpose of grafting?

Not sure how well spruce will ground layer. Its not something every tree is amenable to.
From my reading, learning, etc, its mostly deciduous, particularly maples that will readily ground layer.
I think some junipers will but if I recall correctly, spruce are very hard to ground layer at least I dont remember hearing or reading about one that is successful.

You could try to do it or you could just pot this into a deep pot and bury the graft union so its not visible.
If it works then we all learn something.

Slight but of a necropost, I know, but thought I'd chime in before going back to searching repot practices.

YES, Colorado spruce will ground layer.
I've found branches ground layering themselves in fallen needles atop building roofs.
And that's here where you'd expect the duff to stay too dry. It apparently doesn't take much.

Back
Top Bottom