Collected Pitch Pine no. 1 & 2

This apex and drop branch feel silly to me but I will do what I can until this branch gains more steam to be the new apex long term. I did cut but the branch that was pointing straight out at you, I wanted to have the tree gain strength until I felt it would be okay to cut off..
AA2FBB60-441F-4769-A4E0-259438FB4ECE.jpeg

I guess now the plan is to let the tree gain vigor until it fills in a bit more with foliage?
Yep. You can see the difference the new needles make compared to even before the new growth. It’s already gaining vigor , and has back budding different spots.

This apex and drop branch feel silly to me but I will do what I can until this branch gains more steam to be the new apex long term. I did cut but the branch that was pointing straight out at you, I wanted to have the tree gain strength until I felt it would be okay to cut off..
View attachment 500991

Before cutting all that off, try cutting that long drop branch back to the first little branch coming off it. You might like that better. It will also direct some energy lower

Before cutting all that off, try cutting that long drop branch back to the first little branch coming off it. You might like that better. It will also direct some energy lower
Actually the design is growing on me . We’ll see. It’s a pitch pine , not a JBP or JRP no prescribed design for it.

View attachment 543984Gonna do some work to this soon .. but still debating on what .. stay tuned thanks
Whoah, nice trunk! Where did you collect this guy? I remember trying to coordinate a collection with you years ago and I could never make the time to drive up there. I'm curious how it responds to decandling. I know there's a lot of folks saying they respond similar to JBP/JRP, but I haven't seen any convincing pitch pine bonsai outside of the National Arboretum. There's just one there that tends to have 2-3 inch long needles but it works for its wild kengai style.

I see two options:

Option 1, rebuild a tighter tree from the branch just above the jin.

Option 2, bend down the current apex to fill in the space on the right, and use the top left branch as the new apex. The drop branch will make more sense as a side branch this way as well.
20240509_092918.jpg

I've been reading about pitch pine lately, and it sounds like they will back bud profusely when pruned hard. How reliably does that occur, and if it's reliable, will that factor into your design plans?

B
I see two options:

Option 2, bend down the current apex to fill in the space on the right, and use the top left branch as the new apex. The drop branch will make more sense as a side branch this way as well.
View attachment 545394
If possible, bending the top of the trunk to the right will also help to push up the new apex, and push down the new right side branch.

I see two options:

View attachment 545394
Yeah I’ll haven’t get creative with it . Stay tuned ‘

Back
Top Bottom