Buxus microphylla cultivar? (and does it really matter?)

Brain Treez

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I saw these two unlabeled shrubs at a local nursery for $15 each and instantly knew they'd be good for bonsai. I'm reasonably certain they're Buxus microphylla, but can anyone help with the cultivar? Compacta? Japonica? Koreana? The leaves are very small, glossy, with almost a plastic-like appearance and feel to them.

And secondly, does it really matter? Does the care and strategy for this species really vary that much by cultivar?

I figure I should get a better sense of what they actually are before thinking about any next steps in development.

Attachments

• 20240718_204928.jpg
    20240718_204928.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240718_205007.jpg
    20240718_205007.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240718_205023.jpg
    20240718_205023.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240718_204942_.jpg
    20240718_204942_.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240718_204853.jpg
    20240718_204853.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 547744-cb3fd3270a2e7127b97fe0ef422214a7.jpg
    547744-cb3fd3270a2e7127b97fe0ef422214a7.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 25
I saw these two unlabeled shrubs at a local nursery for $15 each and instantly knew they'd be good for bonsai. I'm reasonably certain they're Buxus microphylla, but can anyone help with the cultivar? Compacta? Japonica? Koreana? The leaves are very small, glossy, with almost a plastic-like appearance and feel to them.

And secondly, does it really matter? Does the care and strategy for this species really vary that much by cultivar?

I figure I should get a better sense of what they actually are before thinking about any next steps in development.
Likely a variety of microphylla--one of the small leaved varieties obviously. Exactly which is anyone's guess without a label from the grower. Care is the same for any boxwood, although small leafed varieties can be a real pain to thin out to avoid becoming too thick. Dense leaves shade out interior growth.

Likely a variety of microphylla--one of the small leaved varieties obviously. Exactly which is anyone's guess without a label from the grower. Care is the same for any boxwood, although small leafed varieties can be a real pain to thin out to avoid becoming too thick. Dense leaves shade out interior growth.
The foliage is incredibly dense, but I've been hesitant to thin it out much or make any big decisions in case they are actually Kingsville and therefore extremely slow growers. I need to take them into a club meeting and get some other eyes on.

The foliage is incredibly dense, but I've been hesitant to thin it out much or make any big decisions in case they are actually Kingsville and therefore extremely slow growers. I need to take them into a club meeting and get some other eyes on.
You're mistaking slow development of trunks and thickening with growth. They're NOT slow growers, at least not as slow as you seem to think. They grow foliage very quickly and thickly. It's the process of turning those new shoots into wood that takes time.

Thin back to two of three leaves if possible. Allow light to get into the interior. They're a pain to do that with because they have so much growth to clear out and it's all small.

Been dealing with this one for 20 years now almost
kingsville2.jpg

You're mistaking slow development of trunks and thickening with growth. They're NOT slow growers, at least not as slow as you seem to think. They grow foliage very quickly and thickly. It's the process of turning those new shoots into wood that takes time.

Thin back to two of three leaves if possible. Allow light to get into the interior. They're a pain to do that with because they have so much growth to clear out and it's all small.

Been dealing with this one for 20 years now almost
Thanks for the clarification. In your experience, is a mid-summer re-pot a good option with these or best to wait for early spring?

Thanks for the clarification. In your experience, is a mid-summer re-pot a good option with these or best to wait for early spring?
In your area, you could probably get away with it now. I usually repot boxwoods last in mid-late spring here in Va. You've got some time before it gets prohibitively cold.

Back
Top Bottom