Bougainvillea Repot/Root Work/Soil Mix

pablo

Sapling
Reaction score
Just picked up this large Bougainvillea from my local nursery in Vegas. Reading a few recommendations on repotting best to be done in Mid Summer. Any recommendations for when to repot, root work and what type of soil mix for this species in the hot Vegas summer? Appreciate everyone's help on this one as I have seen a few different recommendations.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1950.jpg
    IMG_1950.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 30
Absolutely during summer. Defoliate and have at it. No need to be gentle with roots take off as much as you need. Keep it shaded for a few days. As for soil, just make sure it's free draining. Bougs don't like wet feet. They like a slightly acidic soil so a little sulfur is a good idea. They also like trace minerals. Bougain fert is an easy way to get everything you need. BTW Star Nursury for the win! Great prices bigger stock than most other places. Feel free to ping me with any other questions.

Absolutely during summer. Defoliate and have at it. No need to be gentle with roots take off as much as you need. Keep it shaded for a few days. As for soil, just make sure it's free draining. Bougs don't like wet feet. They like a slightly acidic soil so a little sulfur is a good idea. They also like trace minerals. Bougain fert is an easy way to get everything you need. BTW Star Nursury for the win! Great prices bigger stock than most other places. Feel free to ping me with any other questions.
Thanks for the advice! I haven't been to Star Nursery yet, but I plan on making a trip sometime here soon. Any suggestions on Bougain fert?

@milehigh_7 - still a far way out for winter. But how did your bougys do here in the winter? Did you have to shelter it or keep it indoors with grow lights?

Back
Top Bottom