Bonsai pots were not always so small

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Many think bonsai pots have always been a bit on the minimal side. These look almost comically large and garish by today's standards. While a bit big even for me, I am gravitating towards larger pots these days. The trees seem to love them and the volume of soil helps in my hot summers.

1705888303951.png

My latest $1.00 thrift store find.

unnamed (4).jpg

Many think bonsai pots have always been a bit on the minimal side. These look almost comically large and garish by today's standards. While a bit big even for me, I am gravitating towards larger pots these days. The trees seem to love them and the volume of soil helps in my hot summers.

View attachment 525233

View attachment 525234
That’s a heck of a $1 find!

View attachment 525233

View attachment 525234
Thrift stores, Dollar Stores, Dollar Trees and flea markets. A cheap drill press from Harbor Freight and cheap diamond tip bits off Temu and your set,

Oriental stores for Tea cups, Saki cups, small bowls, a hollow Diamond bit 3/8 - 3/4 inch, a Drill and some water and you got a Mame or Shohin pot.
Also found some really nice shallow Stoneware "pots" at a local potters store, just need to drill a hole and a lot cheaper than a Bonsai pot.

Back
Top Bottom