Hello good folks!

I just thought I’d do a quick update on this collected oak and say, the Oak is still alive. Cambium is still green! The last few leaves fell off a few weeks ago. The weather finally cooled off here in North Texas and it’s such a glorious feeling to be outside. I had to take a trip to Denver for a few days to get out of the heat but when I came back cooler temps found us here in Dallas!

I’m wondering what would be some good options for overwintering this weak fella to make sure he lasts through to spring. (I didn’t get a good root ball at collection but I’ve been making sure my aftercare is on point all the time.) The oak is in pure pumice.

I have two outdoor closets in the carport that are attached to the house that are unheated but receive 0 sunlight.

I also have a detached studio space that I can choose to leave unheated, that receives plenty of sunlight from windows and a large skylight.

Since the oak is in a dormant state already, what would be the best course of action for keeping it alive until spring arrives.

I hear we are gonna get an “El Niño winter” here in Dallas so it may be harsher than usual winters in this area.

What are my options for overwintering this collection? Scared that a freeze may just kill the few roots it does have that have sustained it until this far. And I didn’t come this far just to come this far 😂 any help would be amazing as overwintering has been confusing to me since I started bonsai a couple years ago.

Thank you all!
Definitely keep it from frost and freezing. I'd try to keep it cool but since it's been collected out of season pre-dormancy, not real sure if it's going to push new growth this fall/early winter. It might and if it does, it means you're going to have to provide light. I'd just leave it out until you can't because of frosts and freezes. Unheated studio space might be the best option, but you're going to have to be vigilant to what it's doing and balance that with what is possible.

Definitely keep it from frost and freezing. I'd try to keep it cool but since it's been collected out of season pre-dormancy, not real sure if it's going to push new growth this fall/early winter. It might and if it does, it means you're going to have to provide light. I'd just leave it out until you can't because of frosts and freezes. Unheated studio space might be the best option, but you're going to have to be vigilant to what it's doing and balance that with what is possible.
Thanks for the advice, Rockm. I think I can manage it in the studio better if it does leaf out early. I don’t even need to turn the light on in that space even when I’m working out there, there is so much natural light in there.

Now, if it doesn’t leaf out before the first frost and consistently colder weather, would one of those unheated outdoor closets that I have, work? (They have pitch black darkness when the doors are closed).

Ideally that would be be easiest for me considering I may need to move my work out of the studio during the winter if they don’t leaf out. Without leaves, pitch black darkness is ok, correct?

Thanks for the advice, Rockm. I think I can manage it in the studio better if it does leaf out early. I don’t even need to turn the light on in that space even when I’m working out there, there is so much natural light in there.

Now, if it doesn’t leaf out before the first frost and consistently colder weather, would one of those unheated outdoor closets that I have, work? (They have pitch black darkness when the doors are closed).

Ideally that would be be easiest for me considering I may need to move my work out of the studio during the winter if they don’t leaf out. Without leaves, pitch black darkness is ok, correct?
You collected it at a tricky time. The tree wasn't dormant when you dug it. Middle of September is summertime and it was freakin hot down there if I remember right. It was probably getting there, but it wasn't dormant.

That means to me (and this is all complete speculation/guessing/possibly Bullshit, so take it for what it's worth), the tree will likely try to push new growth, or not 😁 . I would lean towards the tree beginning to grow (and FWIW, if it doesn't, then I'd be a bit guarded about it living through the winter). Dark won't stop new growth. It will grow regardless. If it does push new leaves, you have to provide as much light as possible. The natural light in your studio is probably not enough--indoor light, even next to a window is only a fraction of sunlight intensity outdoors.

FWIW, I'd leave it outside for some time, and move it in and out of indoor shelter as weather dictates (as in put it outside when temps are forecast to be above 40. You will have to be careful not to disturb the root mass moving it around--placing it on a cart, or on a dolly that doesn't require you to lift it even time you move it would be ideal.

You collected it at a tricky time. The tree wasn't dormant when you dug it. Middle of September is summertime and it was freakin hot down there if I remember right. It was probably getting there, but it wasn't dormant.

That means to me (and this is all complete speculation/guessing/possibly Bullshit, so take it for what it's worth), the tree will likely try to push new growth, or not 😁 . I would lean towards the tree beginning to grow (and FWIW, if it doesn't, then I'd be a bit guarded about it living through the winter). Dark won't stop new growth. It will grow regardless. If it does push new leaves, you have to provide as much light as possible. The natural light in your studio is probably not enough--indoor light, even next to a window is only a fraction of sunlight intensity outdoors.

FWIW, I'd leave it outside for some time, and move it in and out of indoor shelter as weather dictates (as in put it outside when temps are forecast to be above 40. You will have to be careful not to disturb the root mass moving it around--placing it on a cart, or on a dolly that doesn't require you to lift it even time you move it would be ideal.
That sounds like a good plan with the cart. Yeah we had a hot summer and now it’s cooled off nicely. Thank goodness! I have a large flat cart that I’m going to place it on today and keep it there. I like the idea of moving it gently with the cart (I’ll probably just keep it on the cart) considering winters in Texas are unpredictable (well all Texas weather really 😂) I’ve been babying it this long, I might as well do my due diligence and continue to put full effort into keeping it alive. Thanks for the tips. I will keep a really close eye on the weather this winter and only move it in if I see a frost coming. I don’t see the cold being anything but beneficial to the tree. (other than freezing obviously.)

Thanks for all the help rockm 💪🏼

Back
Top Bottom