Baobab style Norfolk Island Pine?

jdonchig

Seed
Reaction score
Greetings all. I recently started trying baobab style pruning and had good success with succulents. I was hoping to do something interesting with a clup of Norfolk Island Pines and wondered if their structure would accomodate baobab style. Anyone hereactually tried this, or if not,does anyone who know more about trees than me have any idea how they might respond? Or do I just set off on an adventure and report back?

Greetings all. I recently started trying baobab style pruning and had good success with succulents. I was hoping to do something interesting with a clup of Norfolk Island Pines and wondered if their structure would accomodate baobab style. Anyone hereactually tried this, or if not,does anyone who know more about trees than me have any idea how they might respond? Or do I just set off on an adventure and report back?
Norfolk Island Pine is problematic using bonsai techniques. It isn't a "real" pine, for instance. It is a tropical conifer species in the Araucaria family (monkey puzzle tree) with different growth habits and characteristics. For instance, it is hesitant to branch or backbud from lower portions of the trunk. If you do a search here on NIP or Norfolk Island Pine, you will get a lot more info (most of it bad news, unfortunately).

I have never seen a convincing NIP in any bonsai style. You might be able to pull it off, but I personally will stick with plants more amenable to bonsai styles. But in most instances I never say never.

I have never seen a convincing NIP in any bonsai style. You might be able to pull it off, but I personally will stick with plants more amenable to bonsai styles. But in most instances I never say never.
This!

Back
Top Bottom