An unusual Trident

Here in Atlanta, I've heard the term "conversation branch" used by Rodney Clemons and others to describe such a branch that breaks all the rules and generates a lot of bante between enthusiasts, both for and against the style. I'm not sure if I like it or not, and honestly, trees like this really need to be seen in person to be judged fairly. Still, I do find trees like this interesting or even compelling when they are well trained. Good luck with it.

I hear what you're saying. I must have made 10 trips to this tree before I considered buying it. It took me a long time to realize that I liked it as it defied convention and is not easily categorized. Is it a cascade? An informal upright? Brussel had raised prices on all of the other big tridents except for this one. It had clearly been there for many years, passed over by many potential buyers. Heck, I might be the only one who DOES like it. Strange trees like this are like a good marinade - it takes some soak time to appreciate their virtues.

Rodney was just here a couple of months ago. I would have liked to have had the chance to bring him to my garden, but was away on business travel that weekend.

Scott

Last edited:
Yes, all sprawl there now. I work in Columbus, but live down in farm country between lancaster and circleville, near amanda.

I love the idea that Brendan threw out there, I've seen a number of old trees just like that, and have always been struck by them. There are some good examples in Big Bend along some draws.

I have an unusual trident, that I also thought of making more "normal" but then it'd be just like every other tree. Embrace the different once in a while!

Can't say that I recall having visited Amanda, but I know the area where you live. I have family who live near Lancaster.

I like Brendan's idea - it's different than the way I've been thinking. I'd been thinking of using that branch as a kind of cascade feature, but his suggestion has certainly given me an alternate perspective in which to consider the styling.

I'd love to see your unusual trident.

Scott

Last edited:
Can't say that I recall having visited Amanda, but I know the area where you live. I have family who live near Lancaster.

I like Brendan's idea - it's different than the way I've been thinking. I'd been thinking of using that branch as a kind of cascade feature, but his suggestion has certainly given me an alternate perspective in which to consider the styling.

I'd love to see your unusual trident.

Scott
Here's a link to my tree I was speaking of, it's more of a "conversation root" in my case :).
I did not air-layer it like I was thinking of doing, the more I look at it, the more I think it's added interest.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?6805-maple-with-some-potential

I do think that the tree must be well done, to be able to support the idea of an uncommon or fantastical feature. Yours has so many other good points, I believe it can work.

Mine... still growing it out, and working on roots.

BTW, next time you're in the area, I'd be pleased to have you visit, drop me a line!

Last edited:
Here's a link to my tree I was speaking of, it's more of a "conversation root" in my case :).
I did not air-layer it like I was thinking of doing, the more I look at it, the more I think it's added interest.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?6805-maple-with-some-potential

I do think that the tree must be well done, to be able to support the idea of an uncommon or fantastical feature. Yours has so many other good points, I believe it can work.

Mine... still growing it out, and working on roots.

BTW, next time you're in the area, I'd be pleased to have you visit, drop me a line!

Such a kind offer - thank you Judy. I would love to see your garden.

Scott

Spring is here in Houston and its time for more work. I repotted and did two approach grafts about 1 year ago - they're both on the back of the tree. I removed a large root on the right side of the tree summer The tree was wired out in the summer before the new shoots hardened off. I sprayed with dormant oil in January (for bugs) and dilute lime sulfur (for fungus) when the buds began to move about four weeks later.

Here's the tree before early spring work began.

image.jpg

Scott

Grafts are healing well and the scar from where I removed the root is about 1/2 healed over. I've been weaning the approach grafts from their original branch over the summer - I sliced off some cambium, girdled it with some wire, and pruned off all growth on the branch except that after the graft. The graft had now noticeable thickened after the graft union. Time to detach.

I scored the cambium around the wound.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Scott

Last edited:
Interesting tree. Not for everyone. I definitely like the view with the "branch" going left versus right. Not a whole lot to add. Impressively well-endowed acer....

Thanks Don. It's one of those trees that grows on you. Or it doesn't. I like that it departs from conventional styling. I think one day that massive lower branch will be a beautiful and interesting feature on the tree.

Scott

Without doubt that lower branch is what makes this tree. I may have missed it but are you planning to eventually cut it shorter to introduce an angle change?

Thanks Speed.

It's close to its final position and I hadn't intended on reducing the length of the lower branch. I probably have a few more grafts to do and the large branch near the apex will probably have to go. What's your thought?

Scott

Scott below is where I would cut the lower branch to create taper and introduce a more interesting branch line. Also I made a sketch of what I think the tree could look like in a few years time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 11.06.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 11.06.03 PM.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 188
  • trident maple copy.jpg
    trident maple copy.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 193
Really a great rendering of your vision and I see exactly what you mean. I like how the upward sweep at the end interrupts the long straight line of the branch. Thank you so much for your sketch and thoughts. VERY appreciated.

Scott

Great thread! Interesting how as I read this, your tree has grown on me:). I liked Brendan's idea with the lower branch, but....as usual, Mach's is very pleasing. Two very different trees.
I'm curious about the damage on the upper part of the tree...will you be able to graft anything there? Or, could you start something lower, just under the upper branch, and start developing that before you lose it. It might keep the balance and help heal the scrars. JMHO

It's a special tree, but it took time for me to like it too. I recall visiting the area in Brussels many times where they have large tridents, but I was looking at the more conventionally styled trees. This one was off in the corner and priced differently than the others. It had clearly been passed over by many buyers over the years and they had it priced to move. Although I didn't like it either at first, it and the weird branch grew on me over time too.

In terms of the wound on the upper trunk, I don't know what happened - it was there when I got the tree. I noticed it, but it didn't seem that large until I began to clean the rot. It was only when I removed to that I understood its extent. There's a large branch on the upper trunk right next to the wound. It's out of proportion, given its height on the trunk and will eventually need to be removed. Right now I'm just using it to help heal it over, but it will take time. Definitely not healing like the scars on the roots. I plan to graft the replacement branch or branches on that side near the wound with this seasons growth. That should help some.

Thanks! I'll post some pictures with the spring shoots. It looks great with the bright red spring foliage.

Scott

image.jpg Springtime in Houston. Happy maples. Fall color is crinkly and brown, but spring is great!

Scott

Seeing Mach's virt reminded me about some old trees around here that were purposely bent down by the Native Americans to mark a trail. Often when they grew back out, they resembled a huge figure "4". (The open top 4, not the iPhone triangle 4). They had a straight trunk, then a heavy side branch that abruptly goes straight up again. There was one on the property I grew up on as a child. It always fascinated me.

Back
Top Bottom