American Larch No. 1

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Rad American Larch that was collected in Vermont this spring. I acquired it mid July and it’s doing ok, it’s roots are kept cool by water and foil staying under shade till afternoon when I gets a max of 6 hours of sun.Some of the old needles are browning but new buds have been emerging. Really like the concept of cascading this guy some day.

Attachments

• 729B4C28-6BF9-4E00-B92D-3A2E88F85B21.jpeg
    729B4C28-6BF9-4E00-B92D-3A2E88F85B21.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 8AD0223C-A960-4666-8038-534852618545.jpeg
    8AD0223C-A960-4666-8038-534852618545.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 216
Awesome tree, man. I just bought two from the same guy I'm pretty sure. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Happy to share mine.

Should be in full sun as soon as you think it can take it.

Nice larch. I am learning that the cascade is one of the biggest pains-in-the-ass that you can bring upon yourself in bonsai. For me, the tree has to be really worth it and suited for it to pursue cascade style. I’m not seeing it with this one, just my 2 cents.

Great base for an upright-ish tree, though!

Nice larch. I am learning that the cascade is one of the biggest pains-in-the-ass that you can bring upon yourself in bonsai. For me, the tree has to be really worth it and suited for it to pursue cascade style. I’m not seeing it with this one, just my 2 cents.

Great base for an upright-ish tree, though!
Thanks, yeah thought about that too… but I REALLY don’t want to make it S shaped.. so really gotta think outside the box if cascade isn’t on the table… Maybe semi cascade and grow lower branches out more

Thanks, yeah thought about that too… but I REALLY don’t want to make it S shaped.. so really gotta think outside the box if cascade isn’t on the table… Maybe semi cascade and grow lower branches out more
s shape on a non malsai can work i think, but to each their own. base looks solid for sure. first pic, blue pill came to mind

Another proud owner of one of these FB "Vermont" larches here! I actually think that it would look natural to turn the top of the tree upright, with a bend at the base, similar to what you find in the mountains in areas of heavy snow.

Another proud owner of one of these FB "Vermont" larches here! I actually think that it would look natural to turn the top of the tree upright, with a bend at the base, similar to what you find in the mountains in areas of heavy snow.
I didn’t actually get it from the auctions, I spoke directly with the person. I hate those auctions and some people who post their “bonsai” are overpriced

I didn’t actually get it from the auctions, I spoke directly with the person. I hate those auctions and some people who post their “bonsai” are overpriced
Did you buy it from Patrick McCaffrey? I remember seeing and bidding on that tree is why I ask. Mine also have similar bark.

Last edited:
@Shogun610, I think an informal upright is probably best. Similar to what @luvinthemountains suggested where the base is almost a buttress where the tree is clinging on.

Here are the two I just bought. I’m really excited about them both. I’ve researched a lot about keeping them alive in my zone. It seems a dark cold winter is really key. I’ll have to figure that out logistically in the coming months. My yard is on the cooler side, which will hopefully help as summer draws to a close.

552BBDDF-0CD2-443A-86B5-FA98DBE5CD63.jpeg8B80490A-0E47-46EF-AA1C-3D728AE4B9CC.jpeg

@Shogun610, I think an informal upright is probably best. Similar to what @luvinthemountains suggested where the base is almost a buttress where the tree is clinging on.

Here are the two I just bought. I’m really excited about them both. I’ve researched a lot about keeping them alive in my zone. It seems a dark cold winter is really key. I’ll have to figure that out logistically in the coming months. My yard is on the cooler side, which will hopefully help as summer draws to a close.

View attachment 391116View attachment 391117
Nice…we shall see. I have ideas , and where I apprentice at is a treasure trove for pots and rocks ..I’m not touching it till spring 2023 though

Tamarack loves full sun, as long as it's planted in potting soil. As they grow in nature. Put it in a pot? Keep the roots cool.

Tamarack loves full sun, as long as it's planted in potting soil. As they grow in nature. Put it in a pot? Keep the roots cool.
Yes but this was from Vermont , much cooler than down here so I’m keeping it in dappled shade for a little while longer , then full sun for 6 hours.

Yes but this was from Vermont , much cooler than down here so I’m keeping it in dappled shade for a little while longer , then full sun for 6 hours.

Yikes. Keep it in dappled sun.....always. Tamarack grows in bogs....if you want to replicate those conditions in a container, then yes, as much sun as possible....have you done any research?

Yikes. Keep it in dappled sun.....always. Tamarack grows in bogs....if you want to replicate those conditions in a container, then yes, as much sun as possible....have you done any research?
Yikes ….I know where Tamarack comes from .. I don’t want the needles to get scorched . Yes I’ve done research or I wouldn’t have bought the tree. The container is kept moist to keep roots cool.. Morning sun and early afternoon for 6 hours then dappled shade during hottest time of day. With all due respect, I’d research into more emotional intelligence and coaching , rather than your approach.

Last edited:
Just a side complaint: I feel like "full sun" means different things to different people. I think my full sun contains A LOT more incoming solar radiation than in the midwest or east coast, for example. I might get 100 more sunny days per year than some other places, which I imagine would be quite significant for a plant. I think sun should be adjusted based on natural range and habitat vs wherever you live.

Just a side complaint: I feel like "full sun" means different things to different people. I think my full sun contains A LOT more incoming solar radiation than in the midwest or east coast, for example. I might get 100 more sunny days per year than some other places, which I imagine would be quite significant for a plant. I think sun should be adjusted based on natural range and habitat vs wherever you live.
Yeah, I was noticing needles getting sun burned so it’s in a more shaded area to get some hot sun relief . It’s been high 80’s and 90’s this week here so I keep roots watered and since I’ve made that change end of July new buds have been pushing

Gee, where to begin? Tamarack are full sun and cool roots. 6b is as far south as you can have them, but only because people insist on keeping them in shallow pots without enough capacity to keep the roots cool and the foliage turgid in full sun. To the same extent that a pot contains rocks, it has less ability to hold water. The upper limit on temperature is debatable and probably a function of how many days, -at length.

Back
Top Bottom