A nod to Nick Lenz...root over dragon's leg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Time to create a thread on this one. Definitely a nod to Nick Lenz. Loved how he colored outside the lines.

Species Drake elm
Pot: Lubos Skoda
Style:Root over dragon leg

FB_IMG_1700637221890.jpg1000019727.jpg1000019726.jpg1000019725.jpg1000019724.jpg

Then video outside 2D found below

Attachments

• 1000019726.jpg
    1000019726.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I'm curious to see what direction you take this in. I see an interesting challenge in balance the appearance of flames with thickening/developing the tree in a way you may see on a more conventional tree.

I'm curious to see what direction you take this in. I see an interesting challenge in balance the appearance of flames with thickening/developing the tree in a way you may see on a more conventional tree.
It will hold no resemblance to a conventional tree. So no true challenge to balance at all. The canopy will be dramatic flames. I've already a few secondary in there twisting. There will be no rhyme or reason only movement.

Example...the way I've designed this Paul's Scarlett Hawthorn ... but a tad more dramatic as this is tame by comparison.

I will be watching.
Thanks. Elm develop rather quickly so winter silhouette will be truly a joy each year.

I may also partially defoliate to show the twists/loops. Just removing foliage a bit...not overly just to highlight areas of movement. Still undecided.. but pondering. Depends on how it visually looks.

That is a cool ass dragon.
Right!?! As soon as I stumbled upon it. That leg extended... I knew to throw that neagari elm over it before the roots became to stiff. I seen it clear as day immediately...upon finding the dragon. šŸ˜Ž his body matches the movement in the pot's feet too. Did you notice?

And the glaze I liken to dragon hide. 20231103_184922.jpg

This is crazy cool! I'll be watching the progress... Very creative!
Thank ya kindly... it's been quite fun.

I had one who said this truly wasn't their thing. To then add all the pieces that brought the composition together...intrigued him to the point he was also going to enjoy the progress.

Thought it kind of the one to share their thoughts with me. Especially that...this typically wouldn't get his approval...yet did. šŸ˜Ž

Have you thought about going full Kozumikku/Burton style on this one? I think it would fit the look of the dragon really well
Well...won't lie. I did think about the branching possibly. As I've both Laurent's books...also a huge fan. That said...the trunk is hidden in the body of the dragon. So the scarring on the trunk could pose issues. But yes...I've pondered scars to the branches to add even more movement to the eye.

Did a clip of all three of my elm together today. I would think they all stand alone in style.

My observation...the above thread post. Of my last Instagram post of the Lubos Skoda pot. Got very little likes. Yet he's well known and it's an amazing pot.

Makes me ponder if my coloring outside the lines were the reason. šŸ™ƒ. It's an amazing pot.

Still images I took today. I still clearly focused on the Lubos Skoda pot. But taking image for front above to show the way the tree and roots are attached and move through the dragon's body from this angle. Yet kept the pot clear...so dragon isn't as focused. As I was focusing on potters.
1000021859.jpg1000021854.jpg1000021853.jpg1000021848.jpg1000021856.jpg1000021845.jpg1000021846.jpg

Pruned the Drake Elm back...chose what to keep and what to remove of the new growth...

Removed old wire...and rewired.
1000030077.jpg1000030070.jpg
20240507_111146.jpg20240507_111029.jpg
And an Instagram snippet outside of 2D still image.

Back
Top Bottom