Why is no one talking about freeze?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like hearing the stories about having to rush some tropicals in, having to do the haul and put things away for the fall. Makes me feel better about tropical storms and humidity.
I didn't notice it was so cold in the US until I saw it might get 59 degrees here tonight.
I got interested in Alocasia plants a couple months ago and did not realize I may have to dig them for the winter now. So even I have some things. :)
I used to kill Singapore Holly with cold weather because they looked so hardy.

We've had frost the last two mornings but my trees are close to the house, so they were fine. I try to put off bringing them in as long as I can and it's warming up for the weekend. Once they're in, they're staying in for the winter.

I like hearing the stories about having to rush some tropicals in, having to do the haul and put things away for the fall. Makes me feel better about tropical storms and humidity.
I didn't notice it was so cold in the US until I saw it might get 59 degrees here tonight.
I got interested in Alocasia plants a couple months ago and did not realize I may have to dig them for the winter now. So even I have some things. :)
I used to kill Singapore Holly with cold weather because they looked so hardy.
Some of us are talking about it. @Japonicus wins so far. You can get your frost fantasies here. :p

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/share-your-weather.46509/post-1155233

And if you want more than just frost DM me and I'll send you descreet pics of snow & ice for a reasonable price. 🤣

We've had frost the last two mornings but my trees are close to the house, so they were fine. I try to put off bringing them in as long as I can and it's warming up for the weekend. Once they're in, they're staying in for the winter.
That’s what I do here in north Louisiana. I keep the frost off of them but I generally don’t have to bring in my tropicals here until the end of December-January. It was like 85 degrees last yr Christmas Day with lows in the low 50s.

Brought my tropicals in last week. Mountains north got snow. There was enough snow in the NH mountains for some skiing (barely - I'm sure the person in the video I saw was using scrap skis).

Mt. Washington, Oct. 11th:

1000005803.png

I wonder about the bougainvillea and whether the cold INSIDE the house or garage gets colder in February, then what you do in march. People post photos of them blooming in March, and I look at mine outside, no blooms until April even at the nurseries. Also in the yard they will get blackened leaves in a 24 hr freeze but the stems are good.

One shrub that is grown a lot here and used for bonsai is ixora, They lose the whole top about every 3 years in a bad freeze.

Back
Top Bottom