What type of Juniper is this?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My local part has these really old Junipers... very cool. They were much thicker last year... I guess someone chopped all the lower branches. I was thinking it'd be fun to grow in my front yard for a several years and then pull em up. Are these Sea Green Juniper?

IMG_1567.JPG IMG_1563.JPG

Maybe. Those normally grow into more tree shapes though. I feel like the ones at the park definitely hugged the ground more... but were obviously not ground cover either. I feel like the shoots grow longer, thinner, straighter than the ashe, but maybe not.

SAW_01876.JPG

From the Texas Wildflower Organization: "Evergreen tree with trunk often grooved and twisted or branched from base, and with rounded or irregular, open crown; sometimes forming thickets. Ashe junipers large, radiating branches, which start almost at ground level, give the illusion of a multi-trunked tree. Female trees with blue berrylike cones; male with a burnt gold appearance in winter due to pollen. Fragrant, dark-green foliage, blue fruits on females, and shaggy bark are characteristic of this 30 ft. evergreen." I am not certain of anything but I thought this may help.

Back
Top Bottom