What is this red maple

TheWarriorDude

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can anyone tell me what this red maple is? It was stolen out of someone’s yard with permission. Came from six clippings that I’m gonna try and grow.IMG_5070.jpeg

The term 'red maple' is often used for the red leaf forms of Acer palmatum (Japanese maple).
There are hundreds of different red leaf JM cultivars so it can be almost impossible to ID any particular cultivar just from a leaf.
Not so many dissected red leaf JM but still enough that it is not really possible to ID just from a single leaf. Most of the dissected leaf cultivars are weeping forms but still quite a few named cultivars with those attributes.
You need to be aware that Japanese maples are difficult to grow as cuttings. The weeping cultivars are even more difficult to strike. Hou may be lucky and prove me completely wrong so best of luck but please don't be disappointed if it does not work out well.

Well that’s confusing
It's not confusing. As said above, "Red maple" is a maple species (Acer Rubrum)native to North America. Acer palmatum is an Asian species of maple that has literally hundreds of varieties that have red leaves (and dissected leaves). Laceleaf and threadleaf JM varieties aren't used all that much for bonsai, as then tend to get sunburn and windburn because their leaves are thinner and have more surface area that can dry out. Here in Va. these maples tend to be crispy and brownish by the end of summer.

It's not confusing. As said above, "Red maple" is a maple species (Acer Rubrum)native to North America. Acer palmatum is an Asian species of maple that has literally hundreds of varieties that have red leaves (and dissected leaves). Laceleaf and threadleaf JM varieties aren't used all that much for bonsai, as then tend to get sunburn and windburn because their leaves are thinner and have more surface area that can dry out. Here in Va. these maples tend to be crispy and brownish by the end of summer.

I would definitely say that common names for trees are confusing. Why else would we have Latin names? In the eastern U.S., there are two different species from two different genera that are commonly called ironwood trees (i.e. Ostrya virginiana and Carpinus caroliniana). It's no less confusing that multiple Acer spp. are called red maple. When you're used to it, you know to ask which one, but when you're learning to identify trees, it can get confusing. Add to that the vast number of cultivars of each species, and it's easy to see why someone would complain that it's confusing.

Back
Top Bottom