Water running through my brand new dwarf jade portulacaria afra!

ekate

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here and to Bonsai. I just went to a Bonsai workshop where I trimmed, wired, and repotted my dwarf jade portulacaria afra into all new rocky bonsai soil. I'm afraid that I removed too much original soil from the root ball, exposing mostly bare root and then potted with far too many bonsai "rocks", as all the water is running directly through my bonsai no matter how gently I water it. Do I need to add more "regular" soil? Am I killing my bonsai? Thank you for your help in advance! 1000002094.jpg

The answer partly depends on your local climate, can you edit your profile and add your location and USDA zone. Bonsai soil uses larger particle size than regular potting mix, the idea being that the roots don't stay constantly wet. However, depending on your climate you may need a soil that holds a bit more moisture, or maybe not. Also, are planning on keeping it in full sun, part shade, indoors?

Click on your name on the top right of the header and then scroll down to location.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and to Bonsai. I just went to a Bonsai workshop where I trimmed, wired, and repotted my dwarf jade portulacaria afra into all new rocky bonsai soil. I'm afraid that I removed too much original soil from the root ball, exposing mostly bare root and then potted with far too many bonsai "rocks", as all the water is running directly through my bonsai no matter how gently I water it. Do I need to add more "regular" soil? Am I killing my bonsai? Thank you for your help in advance! View attachment 554578

My P. Afra is planted in 100% pumice (the 'rocks', as you say) with almost no original soil left either.
Water runs through instantly as well.
It's what we want for P. Afra, as they really don't like wet feet and get susceptible to rotting easily.

So nothing to worry about.
Water it when leaves are starting to wrinkle, that's your visual cue.
Don't look at the soil. It will look completely dry 90% of the time and that's okay.

Agressive root removal is not a big issue with these.
It might shed some leaves in the coming weeks. Don't be alarmed and continue to care for it as described above.

Agree. Jade is a succulent. Wet soil will kill it much quicker than dry soil so your new open soil should be good but you will need to water a bit more than before.
Also no problem with the repot. You could cut all the roots off and stick that stem in as a cutting and it would still grow.

Hello everyone, I'm new here and to Bonsai. I just went to a Bonsai workshop where I trimmed, wired, and repotted my dwarf jade portulacaria afra into all new rocky bonsai soil. I'm afraid that I removed too much original soil from the root ball, exposing mostly bare root and then potted with far too many bonsai "rocks", as all the water is running directly through my bonsai no matter how gently I water it. Do I need to add more "regular" soil? Am I killing my bonsai? Thank you for your help in advance! View attachment 554578
What you have described is EXACTLY how bonsai soil works. Water is SUPPOSED to run through it and not leave the soil soggy. Good bonsai soil contains porous particles that retain water and release it over time. The soil you had around the root mass retains too much water for the plant for the most part, which is particularly true of succulents, which appreciate well-drained soil.

You do NOT want dense water holding soil in the root mass. It leads to root rot (again particularly with succulents which have evolved in mostly arid climates to retain water in their leaves and have smaller root systems).

The water running through the root mass quickly draws in air from the top, aerating the soil and roots. Developing roots need that gas exchange. Denser soil prevents it.

Don't make the mistake of overcompensating with watering. That will kill the plant. Water when the tree needs it. Typically that means when the top inch or so is dry.

Bonsai soil is not like "regular" potting soil. Potting soil was designed to hold onto water. Bonsai soil is meant to hold onto only a portion of what potting soil does but release it over time. Standing water or soggy soil is a primary killer of bonsai, because beginners tend to overwater. Bonsai soil can help prevent that if you learn to water it correctly. Looks like you got a pretty good bonsai mix. Learn how to use it. Don't pile more soil on, don't overwater.

What is the big wire on the trunk for?

As others have said, your soil is totally fine. P.Afra are super easy (and enjoyable IMO) to grow.

Back
Top Bottom