Vietnamese Blue Bell questions

gfreak

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Anyone have much experience growing these? Haven't been able to find a ton of info online, and the couple books that i have for reference don't mention them at all.

Just got 1 from wigerts, and wanted to be sure on a couple things.

since it's from Vietnam climate, i'm assuming it'll love the sun/humidity down here in Houston. But for winter, what're the lower end temperatures in terms of when to bring it inside? under 50?

Is there anything specific to this plant when compared to any other tropical trees in terms of watering/fertilizing?

Appreciate any tips y'all might have!

Picture Tax: PXL_20230719_231107976.jpg

I got mine from Wigert's also. I brought it in with the rest of my trop's in the fall and it did fine under the lights. In Houston I would think it would need less winter protection.

I bring mine in when low temp forecasted below 40 for a few nights. Our high rarely stay under 60s so they will be fine to stay out if only a cuople nights in the low 40s. I have a thread on this titled Desmodium

Perfect! thanks a ton for the confirmation on that!
Yea i've gotten the majority of mine from wigert's lol.
I probably need to get some grow lights for winter. I just used a bright windowsill for last winter

Follow up question for this guy. The soil seems to not want to hold much water (it all runs out the sides) and even after heavy watering if I dig a bit it's dry towards the center.

I have tried submerging it in the sink, and the whole thing just floats (the root ball floated out of the pot actually).

Does this mean I need to try and repot this? I know it's a tropical, but will it be ok to repot this in the middle of summer?

Follow up question for this guy. The soil seems to not want to hold much water (it all runs out the sides) and even after heavy watering if I dig a bit it's dry towards the center.

I have tried submerging it in the sink, and the whole thing just floats (the root ball floated out of the pot actually).

Does this mean I need to try and repot this? I know it's a tropical, but will it be ok to repot this in the middle of summer?
This is a good time to repot tropical.

Went ahead and got it done, appreciate the response VP!

It came apart as 2 clumps, was almost tempted to plant them in 2 seperate pots and get 2 clump styles out of it. But decided to leave em together for now.

There's a spot on the roots (picture 3) which i'm not sure how that'll look/grow as the tree grows.

Attachments

• PXL_20230724_225051275.jpg
    PXL_20230724_225051275.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20230724_225922680.jpg
    PXL_20230724_225922680.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230724_224956570.jpg
    PXL_20230724_224956570.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230724_225902138.jpg
    PXL_20230724_225902138.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230724_224947269.jpg
    PXL_20230724_224947269.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 30
FYI you can propagate them easily from root cuttings. If you cut off some chunky roots, throw them in bonsai soil outside and in a few weeks they will push new buds. More trees!

Went ahead and got it done, appreciate the response VP!

It came apart as 2 clumps, was almost tempted to plant them in 2 seperate pots and get 2 clump styles out of it. But decided to leave em together for now.

There's a spot on the roots (picture 3) which i'm not sure how that'll look/grow as the tree grows.
Np bro ! I have one that I’m gonna try to put it over a rock tomorrow, I got it from Wigert too.

Anyone have much experience growing these? Haven't been able to find a ton of info online, and the couple books that i have for reference don't mention them at all.

Just got 1 from wigerts, and wanted to be sure on a couple things.

since it's from Vietnam climate, i'm assuming it'll love the sun/humidity down here in Houston. But for winter, what're the lower end temperatures in terms of when to bring it inside? under 50?

Is there anything specific to this plant when compared to any other tropical trees in terms of watering/fertilizing?

Appreciate any tips y'all might have!

Picture Tax:

I also have one from Wigerts and it intimidates me. I've never repotted a neagari bonsai before, I realize the procedure is the same and I plan on doing it this weekend.

PXL_20221013_225202943 (1).jpg

The flowers smell like grapes. :)
vbbflwr.PNG

Back
Top Bottom