trunk chop ficus

Jailee719

Seedling
Reaction score
Has anybody ever seen a ficus grow a branch out of the middle of a chopped trunk? Thought this was interesting

Attachments

• IMG_9572.jpeg
    IMG_9572.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9571.jpeg
    IMG_9571.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 101
New shoots arise from cambium just under the bark. It is not normal for a new shoot to come from the centre of a trunk like that. Unless this is a set up photo, I'm guessing the original trunk was some fused smaller trees so there's still some live bark in the centre there. A closer look at the chopped end might show evidence of fused individual trunks.

New shoots arise from cambium just under the bark. It is not normal for a new shoot to come from the centre of a trunk like that. Unless this is a set up photo, I'm guessing the original trunk was some fused smaller trees so there's still some live bark in the centre there. A closer look at the chopped end might show evidence of fused individual trunks.
There seem to be some fusion scars on the trunk and that would support with Shibui's comment.

I believe it is , the ficus was originally from Home Depot. It was grafted green island but I picked it up with the intention of a trunk chop. The original tree seemed to be grafted multiple times, but the center of the tree had no gaps or anything indicating any live bark on where a new shoot could pop out from

Actually you might be right LOL

Back
Top Bottom