Troubles in the Garden

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m having a few various issues with plants this year. We’ve had a significantly wet and mild spring, which I’m definitely not complaining about, but I think it’s started to rear it’s head this past couple weeks.

This may be a variety of things, but I’m struggling to nail down exactly what I should do. It seems part a nutrient deficiency and also part fungal.

It’s mostly seeming to affect my maples and ficuses, but I think I see it starting to affect. Again, it may be separate issues.

Here’s some photos:
9E2D609C-E01B-4AC3-9CFD-739F8B9A37B8.jpeg
EA4646D3-1855-471A-BB10-C642F0962131.jpeg6D67D7EE-64C6-4FB7-86C1-164AECA8845A.jpeg80E6A9A2-2D11-4D61-86CC-D1EADDC46FEB.jpegBDBED50B-01CE-4DA0-BB8C-F58C24305C9C.jpeg9C99335D-58F6-4EC2-877E-87D7F05E63A8.jpeg5C9F2C20-03DB-431E-9CC9-7979D246B5D7.jpegA79527B9-A497-4D07-9AC3-8D22059C1654.jpeg

My elms look like they’re next in line of being affected and I’m trying to nip this in the bud before it takes over.

Any help would be appreciated! This is affecting a good amount of plants, so I’ve been kinda stressing about it.

Have you tried any spray fungicides? The trident maple leaves look somewhat similar to something at my place and fungicide was the recommendation given to me. Haven't gotten around to it and don't have many more details beyond that

I think you might have multiple things going on here. The maple looks like chlorosis, though I don't have a ton of experience with the species. Looks like something is eating it too, maybe caterpillars by the size of those chunks? How's your watering?

Have you tried any spray fungicides? The trident maple leaves look somewhat similar to something at my place and fungicide was the recommendation given to me. Haven't gotten around to it and don't have many more details beyond that
I haven’t yet, been kinda waiting to see how other new growth on that one looks.

I think you might have multiple things going on here. The maple looks like chlorosis, though I don't have a ton of experience with the species. Looks like something is eating it too, maybe caterpillars by the size of those chunks? How's your watering?
Yeah I believe you’re correct with multiple issues. I just bought some chelated iron online, so hopefully that’ll help, as I do think I have chlorosis in at least one maple and a couple other trees.

Caterpillars have been abundant lately. I try and look out for them, but I can’t always be out there. I did find one that had eaten half of a 8” elephant ear leaf of a new plant I just got 😡
I ended up moving him elsewhere to find a snack.

My biggest issue pest wise throughout the year is spider mites, but that’s nothing new. This year seems worst than last though, but I also have more plants. I decided to get a few good heat-tolerant flowers that attract pollinators (cause it won’t be long before we are consistently 95+) to start bringing in more beneficial bugs since most of my wildflower seeds were a bust this year.

since most of my wildflower seeds were a bust this year.

I know a lot of wildflower seeds can stay dormant for years before germinating, so hopefully you'll get some pleasant surprises in the future

Ah, good to know!
I have the same issue on my ficuses, they get it from time to time. I'm not sure if it's fungus or spider mites (not another spider mite thread!) but they always pull through strong. Yellowing, and some orange spots.

Back
Top Bottom