Shin Deshojo Air Layer 1

madvillain

Sapling
Reaction score
First successful air layer from a large potted shin deshojo that I have on my deck. A bit nervous entering its first winter. So far no plans on shaping as my sole focus at the moment is ensuring its survival. Will get it into a proper wood grow box this spring. If theres any tips on winter care for air layers I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for checking out my thread and plan on posting my other projects soon!

IMG_5923.jpgIMG_5924.jpg

Cool, I seem to recall a few nuts saying their shin deshojo layers failed before rooting. Happy to see a successful one!

I've successfully air layered Shin Deshojo in the spring 3 for 3 so far, however cutting have failed me every time, could be the time of the year. I air layered in the spring and cutting in the summer.

Depending on your winter weather the answer can vary from putting the pot in a larger container, to healing it in to a garden bed, or putting it in a cold frame or heated greenhouse.
Good luck.

Cool, I seem to recall a few nuts saying their shin deshojo layers failed before rooting. Happy to see a successful one!

Thanks! I had 2 of 4 successfully root last summer. The other one was unfortunately damaged and died from an accident with my bonsai bench 🥲

How thick was the branch you air layered here? Also congrats! I hope it’s still doing well. It seems pretty thin. I have a couple Acers I’m wanting to air layer but have waited bc I assumed they were not thick enough. But they are thicker this I believe. Hmmm 🤔

How thick was the branch you air layered here? Also congrats! I hope it’s still doing well. It seems pretty thin. I have a couple Acers I’m wanting to air layer but have waited bc I assumed they were not thick enough. But they are thicker this I believe. Hmmm 🤔

Thank you! This was my second attempt after the first one failed so it was quite a relief when it started to root. It’s pretty thin, probably a little less than 1/4 inch thick.

Currently it’s doing well in partial shade on my bench and just pushed out its second flush of leaves for the summer. The mix of green and bright red is quite nice.

I’m currently out of town but I’ll be sure to post a picture of its current state when I get home next week!

Hey! Apologies for the late follow-up but here’s the current state of the air-layer! It’s done well this season and pushed out a nice late summer flush. Repotted it in the spring to sort out roots hence the pot difference from the original post

Attachments

• IMG_7018.jpeg
    IMG_7018.jpeg
    478.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom