Server maintenance and scheduled down-time 10/22 16:00 EDT

We will be upgrading the Operating System from CentOS (end of life) to AlmaLinux8 (new Linux branch OS). Because much of our server software is now being coded for AlmaLinux, we cannot update/upgrade any of our other software packages as long as we are still running the old operating system.

The web site itself is updated and fine - it is the underlying infrastructure that needs to be upgraded. This is a once per decade kinda thing.

Do you think this will fix the size limit issue with posting photos?
The limit is imposed by me :) It has nothing to do with the site software. What exactly don't you like about it? (I am not being aggressive - I am honestly curious)

It costs a lot of money to host the photos on this site, so there has to be SOME limit - particularly with the advent of more and more powerful cameras with higher resolution photography. Right now the limit is 4MB per image, 16 images per post, 1200x1200 pixel max resolution. That is a limit of 64MB PER POST. Imagine if you are on your cell phone and you try to view a thread that has 5 or 6 posts like that. 300-400MB download. And that is with the current restrictions. My cell phone, for example, takes 50MB photos in RAW format - but the default settings on the phone saves the images as compressed JPEG's of about 3-4 MB per image, so I have no trouble uploading them to the site.

Additionally - the limits prevent certain nefarious individuals from messing with the site. Without the limits think about someone uploading a 5GB image file... or an image with resolution 1 pixel x 200000 pixels.

Last edited:
The limit is imposed by me :) It has nothing to do with the site software. What exactly don't you like about it? (I am not being aggressive - I am honestly curious)

It costs a lot of money to host the photos on this site, so there has to be SOME limit - particularly with the advent of more and more powerful cameras with higher resolution photography. Right now the limit is 4MB per image, 16 images per post, 1200x1200 pixel max resolution. That is a limit of 64MB PER POST. Imagine if you are on your cell phone and you try to view a thread that has 5 or 6 posts like that. 300-400MB download. And that is with the current restrictions. My cell phone, for example, takes 50MB photos in RAW format - but the default settings on the phone saves the images as compressed JPEG's of about 3-4 MB per image, so I have no trouble uploading them to the site.

Additionally - the limits prevent certain nefarious individuals from messing with the site. Without the limits think about someone uploading a 5GB image file... or an image with resolution 1 pixel x 200000 pixels.
Let me start by saying, I am so dam appreciative of this site and what you and the effort it takes. So ultimately, no major issue on my end.

Not sure if it’s something I don’t like, it’s just I can’t post photos the way I normally have in the past. I can “attach files” just fine, but I can’t “drop image” anymore on photos I have on my phone. They show a size of around 3.1-3.6 mb but still won’t upload. Only way I can do it is by taking a screenshot of the photo in question then uploading the screen shot. Not that it’s a huge deal, it just means two of the same photo in my phone. Here is a screen shot of one of the pictures in question. A photo type I’ve posted with ease and no issues in the past.

It sounds like my photos should work and are compressed similar to yours. So I’m not sure what’s going on.

This one taken from my external camera
IMG_9563.jpeg

And this one taken direct from my phone. Neither will upload.
IMG_9564.jpeg

I have not had any issues loading photos that I shoot with my iPhone or iPad so keep up the good work. It is easy enough for me to downsize an image if I need to use a larger resolution camera.

We will be upgrading the Operating System from CentOS (end of life) to AlmaLinux8 (new Linux branch OS). Because much of our server software is now being coded for AlmaLinux, we cannot update/upgrade any of our other software packages as long as we are still running the old operating system.

The web site itself is updated and fine - it is the underlying infrastructure that needs to be upgraded. This is a once per decade kinda thing.
Good luck, & a four hour conversion time is really good.

Does anyone know an easy photo compression app for android that doesn't send my nudes to the NSA?

I've found that most of my photos now are the "burst" type. I have to choose a single frame to save separately for uploading.

Bit of a pain, but not the site's fault.

Android as well - with the Google camera app - maybe I need to get a different camera app for tree photos...

Back
Top Bottom