Question About Using Sphagnum Moss and Akadama for Forest Raft Composition

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I plan to reposition a twin trunk Dwarf Alberta Spruce laterally, laying the trunk down into the soil with “bark windows” carved into trunk and coated with root hormone to promote root growth along the length of the trunk.

Is carving windows and applying root hormone enough to accomplish making roots along the half-submerged trunk?

If Akadama is not enough, how would I use/apply sphagnum moss to promote new root growth along the submerged trunk?

I'd be more concerned about the odds of a Dwarf Alberta Spruce being able to ground layer at all. Someone else might know if it's possible or if it has been accomplished.

DAS grows as cuttings so should have no problem striking roots from the trunk given the opportunity.
Cutting some windows, adding hormone and keeping the trunk covered should be enough to get new roots. Adding sphagnum in the soil might hold a little too much water and cause more problems than good.
If the soil is good enough for the main roots to grow it is also good enough for new roots to grow.

DAS grows as cuttings so should have no problem striking roots from the trunk given the opportunity.
Cutting some windows, adding hormone and keeping the trunk covered should be enough to get new roots. Adding sphagnum in the soil might hold a little too much water and cause more problems than good.
If the soil is good enough for the main roots to grow it is also good enough for new roots to grow.
Perfect. Thank you, I’m moving forward with the project now.

Back
Top Bottom