Pruning Norfolk Island Pine?

Reaction score
Recently I went to a local greenhouse and saw lots of small Norfolk Pines in 6" pots! I thought I might get one, as I plan on starting my first few bonsai this coming spring. However, I thought that I might get this plant just in case my conifers that I will get (Jack Pine, Engelmann Spruce) don't make it under my care.

Doing some research though, some sources say you cannot prune these plants. Is that so? Big part of bonsai is pruning if I'm not mistaken, so no point in getting a plant you can't control.

Also little fact I found while researching. The Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla) is actually rare in cultivation. Majority of the plants sold are Cook Pines (Araucaria columnaris).

Bonsai is an art of display using trees and pots. Pruning is a tool, or technique used, but not a requirement. If you can create the "image" without pruning, that is acceptable.

That said, Most of the time, pruning is required long term to maintain a tree to keep its design and scale.

It is true Norfolk pines or for that matter all members of the genus Araucaria do not respond in the same predictable way pines respond to pruning. If you remove the growing tip of an Araucaria, it takes a long time before a new leader bud develops. Often several years. Araucaria species generally do not react well to bonsai techniques. I've seen the Nigel Saunders video, my reaction is mixed, about his quality of information.

Enjoy Araucaria as a houseplant. Attempts to "make bonsai" with Araucaria will be either frustrating or mediocre. You will have a better looking tree if you simply grow it as a houseplant.

Yes, I am aware that seedlings sold in USA are not actually "the Norfolk Island Araucaria" but one of the other species. It does not matter much, their growth as seedlings is similar.

I do enjoy them as houseplants.

Araucarias do respond to pruning quite well but often shoot in unpredictable places.
Growing and maintaining branching in small scale is the biggest drawback for bonsai is the biggest drawback IMHO.
Have a go if you wish. You can always fall back to the trimmed houseplant if bonsai doesn't work so well. These are sold here each year as potted Christmas trees.

Back
Top Bottom