Newbie Looking For Japanese Boxwood Guidance

snailbee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello!

I'm extremely new to bonsai, and was looking to jump right in. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Japanese boxwood from a nursery. I've just been watering it every couple of days.

Currently I'm in North Texas so it's pretty hot here.

Looking for guidance as to where to start. Should I start pruning? How should I start pruning? I know I should clean up the foliage so I can get a better sense of how the tree structure looks, but was afraid I would remove too much or remove the wrong things.

Here are a couple of pictures:

VmMvCC2.jpg

SAY24CH.jpg

EQBIUfz.jpg

DQvfZVr.jpg

2e1oUAs.jpg

Welcome to Crazy!

I'd like to see that last pic with no thumb!

Looks like possibly a couple trees twisted into one...
Usually crap looking...

This one looks pretty nice for it so far!

A couple more years rampant growth seems would solidify its togetherness.

You may have to remove a branch or twig or two to keep it from bulging where the branches first exit...

But that is a make it or break it move....

More pics!

Sorce

Sure! @sorce

I took 3 different perspectives of the trunk, and I did the same with the whole plant.

iH723AA.jpg

Ls86sdk.jpg

IPolNcP.jpg

6JOYmrX.jpg

0n5ODWk.jpg

3Rgynne.jpg

3rd pic!

Sorce

Sorry I was driving!

Good front!

Sorce

Oh okay, no problem!

So could you offer some guidance as to how I should clean up the tree? Or should I wait a bit before pruning?

I can pull the plant out of the pot and take a full picture of the boxwood but it's kind of hard to see the branch structure.

Normally you would want to trim and repot during the spring. Right now it is a bit hot (depending on your location) down there and our trees need to be as stress free as possible. If I were you, I would just fertilize and water to keep it growing strong. You can trim it some if you like, to see a basic structure, but if you want a bigger trunk, thicker branches, etc., you will be slowing yourself down.

Good choice for a first tree though...and it does appear to have some nice potential. Welcome and good luck!

Oh okay, no problem!

So could you offer some guidance as to how I should clean up the tree? Or should I wait a bit before pruning?

I can pull the plant out of the pot and take a full picture of the boxwood but it's kind of hard to see the branch structure.

I got some fun new boxwood threads going.

Suck I just read I can never show em at our show cuz of Blight. Bogus!

Fr9m that front...

Remove a branch that bugs you.

See what happens!

More work next year!

Sorce

So I picked up a second boxwood when I was at home depot.

There was moss growing already and the trunks looked pretty cool.

How does this second tree look, and what can I do with it?

Xn1pOEQ.jpg

z7LFnlw.jpg

uYL1j4x.jpg

aEtJumO.jpg

Xroz9Hx.jpg

XXcYgh1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom