New Gardenia Gift! First Bonsai. Pruning selection advice sought.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, my wife received a lovely gardenia in memoriam.

I’m an avid gardener of perennials and trees in our small Connecticut yard, and am glad to set about caring for the plant.

It was in flower when I opened the box! I wasn’t immediately able to fully unpack it and so left it in the box, open top, outside by the shaded (but airy and bright) north wall of our home. Today we have taken off the plastic wrap from the pot and set the plant out.

Winter care — we regularly see temps in the 20’s in winter, and I want to care for the tree correctly.

Pruning — I’m used to the process of pruning regular landscape trees for beauty, shape and health. Health is my main goal for this bonsai, as I want it to be a lasting memorial for my wife’s mother. Advice is appreciated. IMG_9811.jpeg
The long branch overhead is an old crabapple that the neighbors cut one side off of. It has a large side-growing branch that shades our late spring and early summer backyard.

Photos are looking southwest, from the northwest corner of our home.
IMG_9812.jpegIMG_9813.jpeg

Hi, and welcome. I don't know much about Gardenias, but bet someone here can help you out. The most important thing to learn right away is proper watering. If you place a wooden skewer into the pot and pull it out to check it once or twice a day, and if it is wet, don't water yet. I don't know how hot it is right now for you there, but you may need to water every day, or twice if it's hot like here. Don't water until the skewer is drying a bit. If you put it on your cheek (face cheek lol) it is more sensitive than your fingers to moisture, so easier to tell. Once you learn watering and placement for the tree's light needs, the next thing to figure out is the wintering situation. I would imagine gardenia would be better inside over the winter in your area. You'll have to keep it out of drafts and in a good light situation and know that humidity inside in the winter can be an issue for trees kept inside. Also there are a host of insects that love indoor trees, so you need to stay vigilant to make sure you don't have an infestation sneak up on you. The humidity tray although good for keeping the water off your table isn't really any good at producing humidity around the tree in the air, so you may need to get a small humidifier if the area you place it in is dry. I'm sorry to hear of your MIL passing, but it is a lovely thought if you can keep this tree happy in her honor.
If you go to your profile page, you can fill in your location so people can give you good advice based on your climate without them having to ask where you are each time.

Hi, and welcome. I don't know much about Gardenias, but bet someone here can help you out. The most important thing to learn right away is proper watering. If you place a wooden skewer into the pot and pull it out to check it once or twice a day, and if it is wet, don't water yet. I don't know how hot it is right now for you there, but you may need to water every day, or twice if it's hot like here. Don't water until the skewer is drying a bit. If you put it on your cheek (face cheek lol) it is more sensitive than your fingers to moisture, so easier to tell. Once you learn watering and placement for the tree's light needs, the next thing to figure out is the wintering situation. I would imagine gardenia would be better inside over the winter in your area. You'll have to keep it out of drafts and in a good light situation and know that humidity inside in the winter can be an issue for trees kept inside. Also there are a host of insects that love indoor trees, so you need to stay vigilant to make sure you don't have an infestation sneak up on you. The humidity tray although good for keeping the water off your table isn't really any good at producing humidity around the tree in the air, so you may need to get a small humidifier if the area you place it in is dry. I'm sorry to hear of your MIL passing, but it is a lovely thought if you can keep this tree happy in her honor.
If you go to your profile page, you can fill in your location so people can give you good advice based on your climate without them having to ask where you are each time.
Thank you so much! I have a fairly green thumb with outdoor gardening, but indoors my outcomes are often not great. I want to get things right with this little plant!

Welcome! I have overwintered a patio Gardenia (not bonsai) inside under grow lights for several years. It does fine and blooms occasionally. Don't overwater.

Gardenias are typically considered subtropical to tropical plants, hardy in USDA zones 8-11. Some are hardier, but not much. Some reliable info online says they experience damage below 15 F in winter. In a container, that temp will probably do considerable damage to the plant. You're probably going to have to bring it inside once outside temps drop to the mid 30's F or so.

Back
Top Bottom