My dad thinks his Azalea is dying?

Reaction score
Hi,

My dad's had his bonsai for YEARS and recently it's looking a little worse for wear.
Please see the photos below, the top doesn't appear to have any new growth at all and now he's concerned the rest is dying out.

There's been no changes to how he looks after it at all so the change is a little weird?
We're in the South West of England, UK. Admittedly we've had some weird weather this year but we're not sure what's wrong.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great?

Thank you!

IMG_6377.jpgIMG_6379.jpgIMG_6378.jpg

Why are there no leaves on this tree this time of year? Did it have leaves this summer and did they fall off? This doesn’t look like good news. Those black branches look dead to me.

I've heard of a few from the UK losing trees over the season being as it has. Doesn't look good. ? he has just the one reacting this way?

His cascading Azealia’s are acting similarly apparently but all of his other bonsais are thriving

B0B08288-79F1-41C9-B41A-0043485A2C69.jpeg0A1FE2B1-C5C9-4E1E-AA62-ED971E05B4E8.jpegA2A177EC-55FE-4584-8DB1-16B6B6987186.jpeg

Why are there no leaves on this tree this time of year? Did it have leaves this summer and did they fall off? This doesn’t look like good news. Those black branches look dead to me.

The lower part of the tree (now the black branches) had flower but the top didn’t flower at all ?

Do you have a bonsai shop or club near you where you can take these? If they don’t get correct quick diagnosis (and it may already be too late) the trees will surely die if they are not already gone. Not trying to be mean, but your best chance is to go to someone with experience that can actually see them in person. At the very least move these away from other trees to stop this from spreading.

Flowering probably won't tell you much.

Mine are showing some similar foliage damage this year....I have been thinking its because its been too wet...actually I just finished pulling in half of my trees because its been non stop rain for 2 days here...

Do you have a bonsai shop or club near you where you can take these? If they don’t get correct quick diagnosis (and it may already be too late) the trees will surely die if they are not already gone. Not trying to be mean, but your best chance is to go to someone with experience that can actually see them in person. At the very least move these away from other trees to stop this from spreading.

Oh sorry, my other reply I meant leaves not flowers.
I’ve let him know and actively encouraging him to take them to an expert to look at.
He did say usually these types of trees dont catch fungal diseases (but it’s probably not that considering something is wrong with these trees)

But thank you!

He did say usually these types of trees dont catch fungal diseases

Not sure where he got this information. If I had to guess, the azaleas are infected by phomopsis- which is difficult to treat and spreads easily between plants, particularly if you don't disinfect your tools as you move from pruning a diseased plant to a healthy one. Phomopsis spreads aggressively in warm temps and wet weather.

I could be wrong, and I agree with the recommendations on this thread about locating someone nearby who might have experience with azaleas - even if they are landscape azaleas.

In the interim, I would treat with a systemic fungicide like Captan 50WP. Aside from the expense, there isn't any downside for doing so.

Not sure where he got this information. If I had to guess, the azaleas are infected by phomopsis- which is difficult to treat and spreads easily between plants, particularly if you don't disinfect your tools as you move from pruning a diseased plant to a healthy one. Phomopsis spreads aggressively in warm temps and wet weather.

I could be wrong, and I agree with the recommendations on this thread about locating someone nearby who might have experience with azaleas - even if they are landscape azaleas.

In the interim, I would treat with a systemic fungicide like Captan 50WP. Aside from the expense, there isn't any downside for doing so.

This is best estimation, I would putting Bayer 3n1.

Also can scrape branch, if brown then dead with infection, removing branch is mandatory until finding living. You can then make clean cut and seal. Hai

Back
Top Bottom