Multiple flush selection

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Just a quick question, in a ABP that do a second flush, when I have to remove the unwanted new flushes ?
Now, during the winter or I am in late ?
This is the situation...

IMG_20240906_191049.jpgIMG_20240906_191059.jpgIMG_20240906_191111.jpg

I usually thin excess buds on JBP in Autumn. The idea being to keep them all through summer while they are still growing which shares the available energy meaning none grow too big. Then in Autumn select which ones to retain - well placed, correct size for the location, etc.
It's still OK to remove the excess through winter if you haven't done it earlier. Leaving too many for too long may over thicken the branch.
You can also pluck excess old needles at the same time. Removing old needles reduces the foliage to limit photosynthesis which should slow down the strong growth and give better ramification and smaller shoots with shorter needles.

Is this a young tree? What time of year did you trim/decandle? Looks like the new buds have reverted to juvenile foliage and have not extended as they normally do after decandling.

Juvenile foliage in european pines usually means you pruned too early.
I would remove these in winter.

Juvenile foliage in european pines usually means you pruned too early.
That's strange because i Pruned at the endo of July, maybe next year I will wait a little bit more.

Is this a young tree? What time of year did you trim/decandle? Looks like the new buds have reverted to juvenile foliage and have not extended as they normally do after decandling.
I have no idea about the tree age, I found it in the green garbage, I did no trim just the decandle work leaving some needls at the end of July

That's strange because i Pruned at the endo of July, maybe next year I will wait a little bit more.
Yes, I think it's better to wait a bit longer next year, maybe halfway through august.
Of course if your tree is super vigorous, it will probably still do this. But I think it's better to try and prevent this, because it's a big energy investment and these juvenile shoots most of the times don't stop growing until late in winter. That prevents them from making good buds, and that can be an issue in the next year.

I have one mugo that never stops growing, and it keeps pushing juvenile foliage the entire year, even in winter. It has been six, maybe seven years since I did the last pruning on it. It's still stressed out. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

Back
Top Bottom